Sign in to follow this  
Just Piddling

Murphy's Law

Just Piddling

I don't have a clue to what model the deck is, Toro shows a 5-2321 as the only option for the Commando 8. I can not find a breakdown.

The original deck was rusted out badly. The PO gave me a shell that was in pretty good shape. Today I removed everything from the deck, inspected and cleaned.

The newer deck had been dented in on one corner, so I decided it stand in it and use a 4 lb hammer, swinging between my legs, to beat the dent out. First swing, the hammer bounces of the surprisingly springy deck and into my ankle. After skipping around the yard a while and finding my hammer in the woods, I gently worked the dent out and welded up the crack I created. I wire wheeled the underside and painted with primer.

I was ready to assembled everything together, but some of the lock washers were broken. No problem, I have a full assortment of lock washers from Harbor Freight. After searching for 30 minutes and blaming everyone for moving my stuff, I finally dumped out the used bolts bin and started digging. After finding the proper hardware I assembled the deck. So then I tried to turn by hand and found the cross shaft rubbing in the carriage. It seems the gear housings have 5/8" standoffs for alignment. The newer shell has 3/8" holes. Of course I have 3 sets of drill bits, the ones with the biggest bit at 1/2" .So back apart it comes waiting for a 5/8" drill bit (FIL has one).

While sitting there on my creeper stool in disgust, looking at my demolished shop, I see something under my welding helmet. Yep, the lock washers. I haven't told anyone yet. I might just keep the blame on the 5 year old, he's always digging in stuff anyhow. Maybe he will learn his lesson. :omg:

I do have a question.

Since it is apart again, I am going to replace the 2 belts that turn the gear shaft. Can I just use a standard belt or are they special like a drive belt?

JimD

you should get a few years use out of a standard belt, of course the higher quality belts will last much longer. very funny story by the way, reminds me of some of my own... "exploits"... :omg:

jtmoyer

sounds like my days. you think you are going to spend 2 hours on a project and it takes you 8 because you lose things in your own shop. :omg:

lotus1967

At least you have a real shop and not what's left of room in the garage.

Just Piddling

lotus- if you ever build a shop, build it 3 times bigger than you think you need. I wish I would have listened to people telling me that.

After a couple trips and discussions with our local self taught mechanical engineers (NAPA) :omg:, I finally get belts close enough to work on the deck.

This is the first rear discharge deck I have used. Wow, what a good cutter.

HorseFixer

:drool: thats too funny! Since the kids are gone I don't have anyone else but my wife to blame anymore! Works for me! :omg:

kpinnc

That was TOO funny Chris.

But don't feel bad- There are a few hammers out in the woods behind my house too. :omg:

Kevin

CasualObserver

I don't have a clue to what model the deck is, Toro shows a 5-2321 as the only option for the Commando 8. I can not find a breakdown.

Toro has it. :omg:

52520015.gif

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 37 )

pdf.gif

5_2321.pdf

Just Piddling

I don't know, I thought I looked it up by that number. I was so disgusted by the time I got in the house, I probably was looking at it cross eyed. Thanks for the link.