Sign in to follow this  
MEBDRB

Quick help needed please!!!!!

MEBDRB

I would like to flip the cutting blade on my GT-14......

How do you remove the bolts holding it on? There is not a bolt coming through the backside.

Are the bumper head looking bolts, actually a one way rivet?

Do I grind them off and then get new? and if so do I have to drill out the rest?

I am trying to get this done between snow storms, as it is starting to get to the blade itself.

Thanks.....

nylyon

I don't know about the BIG blade, but on my 48" the carrage bolts have nuts on the back end. Mine have all been replaced with regular bolts and nuts.

MEBDRB

Karl, this thing has like a square box welded to the back as if to make it hollow with nothing coming through. It is part of the original cutting edge.

nylyon

If the bolts were to go straight through, do they appear to be above, below or in that box that's welded on? My 48" the bolts are just below it. I would think that it would be possible that the blade was worn down past where the nuts are, but that would make me wonder how the wear edge would be held on. Sorry, I don't have the larger blade so I don't have a good reference point.

Nick

Are you sure there are not bolts below the box. Ive had blades worn down to the point that half the bolt and nut is gone already.

MEBDRB

Sorry for the delay, I was looking in the plow thread for a pic of my plow.

It does look like there are worn bolts as you can see round spots under the box.......however, they do not line up with the carrage bolts that are on it. by the way thanks for the carrage bolt name, I drew a blank when I was typing it..... :D

I will be gone for a sec......I am going back out to take another look and will report back.

MEBDRB

Ok Wheel horse Brothers, you were right. From laying on the ground in the snow, plowed by the way, it look like the angle of the carrage bolt was not the same as the worn ones on the bottom.

I took a 4' cut off wheel and cut one of the carrage bolt heads off and then used a punch and hammer and smacked it through. Sure enough you guys were right it was the ones below the box. Looks like I will have to cut them all off so in the shop it goes, enough of laying in the snow...... :P

Thanks guys...... :D

I have some more questions but I will wait till later tonight as I want to get this fixed.....

T-Mo

Yeah, get out of that snow. :P Good thing you have a shop to work on this. :D

MEBDRB

Ok Gents, got the tractor in the shop, cut off all the bolts, flipped the cutting edge and remounted with new hardware. Tested it out and it works sweet now.. :P ....cuts much better without skimming over the top.

While it was in the shop did a second oil change on it, it was real dirty when I first got it so I changed it then. Only had a few plows on it but since it had such dirty oil in it before it discolored up the new so I figured I would just change it again and give it a flush.

Should be good to go for the next snowfall.... :(

Thanks again guys...... :D

T-Mo

Darren,

I'm glad you got done and flipped over. And it didn't hurt to change the oil while you had it in the shop. Now go out and plow some more snow. :D