Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

Threaded exhaust pipe

WheelHorse_of_course

The exhaust pipe used on many of the Kohler engines look just like the black iron pipe used for gas lines.

I went to home deport and they had galvanized pipe rather than black pipe. Are these interchangeable for gas lines? For exhaust? :D

I am assuming these are all NPT threads and any would suffice for elbows and nipples on my new exhaust system?

Comments?

kpinnc

I think they are the same, but if you use galvanized, you'll need to paint it after a few hour's use. The galvanizing will burn off, and that pipe will rust like crazy.

Use it, wire brush it, and hit it with some high temp black paint. Any auto parts store will have it.

Kevin

kj4kicks

Vinegar is also a nifty trick for removing the galvanized coating.

TT

And don't breath the fumes when the galvanizing burns off either. :D

combatmp29r

Awww why not TT?

TT

That funky yellow stuff that it turns in to when it burns is NO GOOD!

I know this is from a welding-related training manual, but exhaust heat can cause the same results.

Here's an excerpt:

"One of the most significant health hazards in the welding process is the generation of fumes and gasses. Do you weld on galvanized metals? Zinc is the coating used on galvanized metals, and when you heat the metal, it produces vaporized metal droplets which are called fumes. This is the smoky haze which consists of fine particles of metals or silicates. When you breathe these fumes, they may work deeply into your lungs.

The typical effect of breathing zinc fumes is metal fume fever. One or two hours or more after welding-without proper personal protection-you may experience severe thirst, pain in the legs, shivering, congestion in the head, dryness and tickling of the throat, and a cough. In very bad cases, you may feel severe shivering, a high fever, buzzing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, and even hallucinations and convulsions. Your symptoms will usually last 24 hours."

combatmp29r

Good info to add TT. Thats why even though I look like a dork 95% of the time I'm welding I have a respirator on under my helmet.

pond195520032003

Joel, so you were welding when you stopped by then :( you also dont use galvanize pipe fos gas line in your home! it will let fine particles drop from the inside and cause it to plug up the tiny holes or orphases(spelling) :D to pilot lites and regulators! :P Greg in s.e. ohio

T-Mo

Some good safety advice here on the use of galvanized metal. I had a trailer made once using galvanized square tubing. We welded it - outside so fumes wouldn't be inhaled.

WOC,

Getting back to the original post - are you making an exhaust stack? Anyway :D

kpinnc

Vinegar is also a nifty trick for removing the galvanized coating.

How's that work Eldon? I've never heard that before.

Kevin

kj4kicks

I kind of remember it from my high school days. We had to remove some galv coating to do some paint work. Just soak a rag in vinegar, and let it soak on the part. I don't think it took all that long, either.

That was 25 years ago, so I hope I got it right.

Jim_M

I kind of remember it from my high school days. We had to remove some galv coating to do some paint work. Just soak a rag in vinegar, and let it soak on the part. I don't think it took all that long, either.

That was 25 years ago, so I hope I got it right.

Vinegar won't remove the galvanizing, but it will dull it and etch it so that paint will stick to it.

kj4kicks

Thanks for setting me straight, Jim.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.... :D

oldandred

The exhaust pipe used on many of the Kohler engines look just like the black iron pipe used for gas lines.

I went to home deport and they had galvanized pipe rather than black pipe. Are these interchangeable for gas lines? For exhaust? :D

I am assuming these are all NPT threads and any would suffice for elbows and nipples on my new exhaust system?

Comments?

Jim the black pipe is used for gas lines and galv, pipe is used for water here in chesterfield va, the inspectors will turn down a house with galv, pipe for gas lines

and the same if you use black pipe on water lines I know youre not building a house but i use the black pipe for ex, on my tractors for the reasions the others have talked about.

black or gal, are the same size threads and all.

hope this helps

glenn27

Another no-no with galvanized pipeing is in hyraulic systems on truck/tractors/equipement.

The coating will eventually 'cast-off' and contaminate the hyd. system.

WheelHorse_of_course

Thanks Guys!

I was aware that the galvanized would fume and had figured one could burn off the fumes with the engine running away from people.

I guess black pipe is the right answer.

As far as vinegar, enough vinegar and enough time should indeed remove the galvanizing. I have no idea how much how long though. I suppose muriatic acid would work too.I am working on an alternate bolt on muffler arrangement for my Charger that would also work for C series. If it works out I'll post details as sadly the original mufflers are way out of my price range.

It will be a while till I get back to the charger engine replacement, muffler and dash upgrade project so don't hold your breath.

HorseFixer

Another thing to consider is that black pipe is cheaper than galvanized, Being a pipefitter for 27 years I will say the reason galvinized pipe is not used for gas is the fact that the galvanized over time will react and flake off and plug a diaphram in you gas valve, this is why it is not used at least not here in michigan for that purpose. Since black pipe seems to be the pipe of choice why not use it? Seems to be the wya to go for exhaust and is less exspensive.

Cheers Duke

linen beige

Plain old black pipe was used at the factory. BTW, national codes call for black pipe with gas (including compressed air), galvanized with water.

linen beige

I am working on an alternate bolt on muffler arrangement for my Charger that would also work for C series. If it works out I'll post details as sadly the original mufflers are way out of my price range.

Have you changed the engine? The original exhaust for the charger 12 is one 1 'x2 1/2 " black pipe, one 1" close black pipe nipple, one 45 deg. black pipe elbow and a "pepperpot" or "mushroom" type muffler. These mufflers can be had for under $5. HD and Lowes sell them for around $10. Don't come much cheaper.

WheelHorse_of_course

Yup, the engine transplant is mostly done including a temporary muffler arrangement. Secretariat is up and doing my mowing.

Been using the Charger without its hood for a couple of months as I am waiting for my buddy's girlfriend to finish repainting it.

I did find black pipe at Home Despot when I looked again.

I wanted to upgrade it to the C series style of muffler with some sort of cannister muffler, but plans for that are on hold.

Not sure how much better that would work than the pepper can, but I can say the new one is much cheaper than the old one which was probably rusted out internally.