Sign in to follow this  
ncfordman

36" Deck Bearing Replacement Q

ncfordman

For my 36" rear discharge deck, number 85-36XR01, I replaced all three spindle bearings. On each bearing, there is a small groove cut on one of the spindle shafts (the main body/housing has grooves as well). You can see it in the picture. Do you know if the bearing is installed with that groove pointed toward the top of the deck (attached to the pulley) or toward the bottom of the deck (attached to the blade)? I should have watched closely when I took them off, but duh, I didn't. The Toro web site wasn't helpful on this.

Based on the small pieces of string wrapped around the old ones, I'd guess that the small groove is installed upward on the pulley side.

Attached Image

post-4-1239846723.jpg

ncfordman

Just for kicks, I'll add the diagram pic, it's #19 in the diagram:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1239847483.gif

gwgdog66

Will item #24 the bolt holding the blade screw into both ends? If the threads are different size the larger threads go to the bottom.

It's been a few years since I rebuilt a spindle assy, last time it was cheaper to replace the whole assy.

Lane Ranger

I believe one of the shafts on the bearing is about a 1/4 longer than the other (may be the one with the groove cut in it).

The longer shaft goes up on my 36 inch rear discharge deck when I replace one as the double pulley on top it needs that length to clear the bolt heads holding the spindle housing and you have to place a washer and bolt on top to finish.

ncfordman

That sounds right to me, I'll give it a try.

Thanks RedSquare!

scifi4all

Hi!

Since you PM me. I thought I would take a moment and look at mine. Here are some pics of the old and new spindles. The spindles are sitting as I removed them from the deck, ie. top to bottom. Two are original and one had been replaced. None of them have the second groove like the new spindle does. But two of the spindles have grooves on the one end, the bottom shaft or blade side, just like the new spindle does. I did not think to measure,at the time, if there is any difference between the shaft lengths as Lawn Ranger suggested. Bothe ends of all the shafts are "D" shaped. Funny you PM'd me I had the same question in the back of my mind and was hoping someone would answer it for us both. My manual doesn't show the grooves either. Hope this helps.

P4160009.jpgP4160008.jpg

scifi4all

Also,

Both ends, of mine, have the same size bolt threads.

ncfordman

Yes, my bolt holes are the same size as well. When I examined my old ones, they had grass and string wrapped around the end with the groove - I'm pretty sure the groove, or the longer of the shafts - points down and is under the deck. That's the way I'm going to install. That is, after I check the lengths of both the pulley (top) and the spacer (bottom) like an earlier RedSquare member said.

Rob

scifi4all

Ok,

I went and measured my old and new spindles today. Surprisingly All three old spindles had 1 1/4" shafts on the bottom ends and three different lengths on the upper ends. Ranging from 1 1/4" on the only one with original overspray on it to 1 1/8" and 1 1 3/16".

But here is my advice when I placed my spindle cups over the 1 1/4" end and placed my blade on it, as if I was installing it under the deck. The shaft ends flush with the surface of the blade. If I do the same with the shortest shaft on the old spindle, the shaft only makes it into only about half of the thickness of the blade.

The new spindles have a 1 1/4" and 1 1/8" shaft on either end. My deck calls for all the same part number spindles for each blade. Which does not explain the originals being different lengths. Other than only one, with the overspray, could be original and the other two were changed over the years?

I hope this helps you.

ncfordman

Indeed, it does. Thanks for your help and I hope this is helpful to others. Thanks for your attention and the pictures.