Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

APPLYING BODY FILLER

HorseFixer

I can see why guys do a Quick Sand and shoot with a rattle can! :( There is no doubt about it there is alot of work and frustration when yer wanting to do a durable long lasting paint job and make it have a show room finish. I would like to say I now appreciate all you body shop guys out there :omg: you have the Duke's utmost respect! I started out with a nice profile on the hood being sandblasted that is prolly the best, And I am blessed to have a guy like Bryan who has been a long time friend not only for blasting but is certified mechanic and who has went to auto body school and a special thanks to Ray Suburban 550 for putting up with my stupid questions Ray was at a disadvantage by not able to see what I was doing from 500 miles away :drool: !

Anyways after adding filler material I have been using Ever-coat (easy sand) a lightweight material because my hood is in pretty good shape and no where is there more than an 1/8" of filler required. This material is a polyester base and dries rock hard and is ready for sanding in 20 minutes. The thing you want to remember take a look at the area you are doing and look where the dips are, you want to use Dolly's and a body hammer to get most of the dents out first best you can. Another thing is it is better to have a low spot than a high spot. Fill the area from side to side back to front with enough material with your squeegee or application tool to cover the entire area. Let dry and use a Straight Line Sander, These sanders are 3 1/2" Wide and 17 1/2" long and sand the surface flat because of their length. Useing a DA or Jitterbug will only get you in trouble on long wide flat areas! Anyways I had a used MATCO that I purchased 16 years ago off the MATCO guy and after about 30 minutes of use it crapped out so I got a Harbor Freight Jobbie ITEM 91773-2VGA that works just fine for 29.99. Anyways when you sand start out with about 80 grit and set your sander on the surface length ways. Work the sander back and forth sideways and roll it over the rounded edge of the hood. Go back and forth and soon and you will soon see the outer edges along the metal getting smooth. Run your fingers along these and make sure it is smooth as a Cat's Azz. If all the edges are smooth and you see areas that are smooth in the center the unsanded low spots will need more filler material so clean off the hood mix more filler material and float them in. If you have shiny metal Islands well you will need to lightly use your dolly and body hammer and make an ever so slight depression and use filler.

I screwed around for four days screwing with this until Bryan came over last night and showed me some tricks. Now I'm on the home stretch and I see now says the blind duck! So take my advice don't be afraid to mix up plenty of filler and do the entire area you will save yourself plenty of time! :drool:

INLINESANDER.gif

56RJRESTO500.jpg

Suburban 550

Glad your getting the hang of it, buddy. :omg: Wish you lived closer. I hope my over the phone instructions helped you out some. Glad you found somebody closer with some experience to help you out. Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

oldandred

WOW youre perfect now and by the way when you finnish that hood come on down to good old Va, ive got about fifteen or twenty that need to be fixed.

:omg:

HorseFixer

WOW youre perfect now and by the way when you finnish that hood come on down to good old Va, ive got about fifteen or twenty that need to be fixed.

:drool:

Thanks Guys! :omg: Far from perfect but I'm doing my best! Uhhh Ole' N Red I have about that many to do myself! 5 1/2 years Till retirement! Take a guess what I'm gonna be doing till then and after? :drool:

Horse'n Around

Your doing a great job, it looks really good. Its going to look really great when your done! I cant wait to start working on restoring my 702, I have it running pretty good now, just a few things more then Im going to take it all apart and get working on restoring it. Looking at your picture has motivated me even more.

John

Suburban 550

I know where I'll be sending my tractors to be done 5 1/2 years down the road. :drool: You should be really good at it by then. :omg:

KyBlue

Duke, I hate to :omg: a bit, however you dont want to go in a straight 90 degree to the pattern that you spread the filler...

You want to go in a X pattern... a few passes on way, then a few passes the other.. and since your doing such a Small area..ditch the pneumatic sander... a long board and some 80 grit and good ole elbow grease will do just as well... plus it'll ensure that you wipe your filler as neatly as possible, to minimize the sanding...

HorseFixer

Yeah Scotty, I just did that on the first couple coats. Now Im doing like you said the Elbow Grease method. :omg:

KyBlue

Good deal Duke! Patience young grasshopper!!

See with a bit of practice your stuff will be lookin like this...

595771.jpg

Raider12

One additional tip. While in the collision trade (for 23 years) I have found that if you are working fillier on a surface that is NOT truly flat and has some rounding etc. I will use a sand paper that is sticky one the one side and put it on a stir stick. This will allow you sand and follow the curves of the panel.

Just another trick of the trade!