Sign in to follow this  
dodge78

air compressor tank

dodge78

I have an old sears compressor that works good but the tank is rusted through. My dad has an older vaccum pump and tank from when he was milking some 20 years ago. The tank is in good shape from what I can tell, but in has a football shaped access panel about 3 x 6 inches on the side . It has a rubber gasket and 1/4 inch thick plate with 2 bolts holding in on. If I tap 4 more holes to hold the plate on, would you think it could hold 125 psi under pressure?

whchris

i dont know that id risk it i had a real close encounter with a frozen pressure switch three winters ago my compressor an old sears horizontal tank got a little moisture in it and froze on so i hit the switch pulled the hose out and luckily went and did something else for a few minutes i heard a loud pop and my hose had exploded that was the first time i ever turned the ball valve on to the hose before the compressor filled up. for the price of air compressors these days i do not believe its worth the risk

linen beige

would you think it could hold 125 psi under pressure?

:omg::drool::drool:

Not only would I not think of using a vacuum tank as a pressure tank, I would forget about thinking about it. Completely different structural make up.

How many of you guys know that pressure tanks have expiration dates on them? This includes hand held, portable air tanks.

They may be in code, but unless your compressor is really old it has a date stamped on it somewhere.

Suburban 550

DON"T DO IT! It's not worth the risk of losing your life. A vacuum tank is a totally different animal compared to a air compressor tank.

past7971

PLEASE---Do not even try this!!!! A vacuum tank and a compressor pressure tank are built for totally different applications. The "bomb-potential" of doing this can not be over-stated!!!! Find another compressor tank. Keep your eyes open, check your local classifieds and hopefully you can probably find a cheap one that has a bad pump or motor on it. As an example, I have a Craftsman 6hp 60gal stand-up I bought new that was 220V I used in my truck garage that the pump went bad. Imagine my surprise when I found out the pump alone cost $50 less than I paid for whole compressor :omg: Being thrifty (OK, so I'm cheap!!!) I found another smaller compressor with bad tank for $20 and took its 110V motor and pump and swapped it onto mine and now use it in my house garage.

Operator

When I first read this I'm thinking NO , NO , NO .

Pressure compared to Vacuum Don't.

Then I kept reading , you don't need me to also add DON'T

Randy

HorseFixer

Absolutley :drool: As being an HVAC contractor for 27 years and dealing with DEEP Vaccume pumps Ray and others are correct here, pressure is way different than vaccume. Your at this point dealing with a pressure vessel and you want the tank to be solid! :omg: