Sign in to follow this  
Olratlr

IH Red

Olratlr

I am going to repaint a Raider Nine and wondered about how many rattle cans I can

expect to use> Thanks.

Duff

Olratlr, :( !

That's a hard question to answer - depends on the type of paint, how many coats of paint you intend to put on it and the thickness. Most here would, I think, advise going light on the thickness of each coat in favor of multiple coats. This reduces the chance for sags and runs, and with some paints the "alligator checking" that can come from too thick a coat over a preexisting coat that wasn't completely cured. :omg:

I'm a rattle-canner myself, and I use Rustoleum Regal Red for my body panels and such. I only have experience with 312-8's so I don't know how much area a Raider 9 has to paint. :drool:

Good luck -someone with more experience and expertise will be along, I'm sure!

Duff :drool:

WHC-125

Olratlr, first off :drool:

I am also a rattle-canner. I have been using Rustoleum Sunrise red on my B-80 restore(I will post pictures soon). I would say 6-8 cans roughly depending on what you are doing plus or minus a can. I plan on restoring my C-125 soon and get it all set for mowing season and "the show" and a fellow Redsquare member said he would help me out and paint it with a gun(Maybe even teach me :drool: ).

I reccommend to take your time and dont rush and you will have a spray gun quality finish.

Good Luck :omg:

kpinnc

I've been using Valspar IH red from TSC for some time, but usually the type you mix and spray with an automotive sprayer.

I'm working on a tiller at the moment, so I had some parts that were just too small to mix up a batch of paint for. I bought the spray can type, figuring "it's just a tiller anyway", but have been pleasantly surprised with the results. It's a near-perfect match to the mixed paint, and has a high gloss finish. It also dries rather quickly.

There are about 3 different "levels'' of paints in the Valspar line that come in IH red. The restoration series is a bit expensive (about $8 per can), but it has the hardner already in it as I am told.

I'll be using the mix type on hoods, fenders, and frames, but only because I can meter the amount of paint sprayed with each pass better than I can with a rattle can. But, I will most definitely keep a couple rattle cans around for the smaller parts in the future.

Kevin

Suburban 550

I have used the valspar IH red restoration series on some small parts with some great results. Like Kevin said it's a little pricey per can but seems to have a little harder finish. I've seen a lot of decent jobs done with spray cans under the right conditions.

Olratlr

Thanks a bunch. This will be a first for me. :omg:

I started taking it apart today.