Sign in to follow this  
dspdante

523DXI new to Forum

dspdante

Hello there, I'm new to this forum, glad I found it. Looks like a good resource for WH addicts!

I was reading through this post{originally in 300, 400, 500 differences} and feel like the RED headed stepchild, no pun intended!

Nobody bothered to mention the xi series. While it didn't last very long it was the last series of WH branded GTs that was produced. Further, I'm the owner of a 523Dxi which is the extremely rare diesel version. to round out your list I included the specs for my machine:

Model Year 1998

Product Name 523Dxi Garden Tractor

Product Brand Toro

Product Series Garden Tractor, 5xi

Engine/Motor Manufacturer Briggs & Stratton (Daihatsu)

Engine/Motor Size# 23 hp

Engine/Motor Type 4 Cycle Diesel

Transmission Speed Infinitely Variable

Transmission Type Hydrostatic

Transmission Manufacturer Eaton

Transmission Model # 1100-063

Wheel Base 52"

Overall Width 40.5"

Overall Length 76.5"

Weight (lbs. w/o deck) 1,022 Lbs.

1977222594_886b8bf162.jpg

T-Mo

dspdante,

Welcome to the Red Square. I've seen you post over on MTF. I got to say I think the 5xi and, especially your 523, are awesome machines. Way over designed and very competitive, design wise, to the JD 4x5 series and the larger Simplicities. With the heavy gauge frames, the larger hp engines, including the diesel version, the hi/lo range hydros, full hydraulics, drive shafts, they're a beast for sure.

Again, welcome to the site. :D

• Like 1

nylyon

Welcome! The issue with the newer tractors (my take on it anyway) is that they are newer and not in the collectible state as of yet. Same is true for my 414 and 416. Not much excitement on those either.

You having the diesel, now that's cool, and I hope you post more about it in it's own topic and add it to our picture gallery.

dspdante

thanks for the warm welcome. nylon, I noticed you're in Brewster, I live in Wappingers. Small world. Hey, how about some snow, it is Winter after all!

I'll post some more pics in the gallery.

nylyon

Very little snow this year so far huh? Of course now that we're complaining about snow we'll get socked with it. That's a big old 2-stage you got in that, have you been able to use it in the snow yet?

T-Mo

Karl,

As for collectibles go, I'm not sure my C-141 would be considered collectible either. I know my 314-8 isn't, it falls in the same category as your 414 and 416. Now, the round hoods and some of the earlier square hoods I would consider collectible. I guess there are others here who would know more than me on what is collectible and what isn't. :D

dspdante

Very little snow this year so far huh? Of course now that we're complaining about snow we'll get socked with it. That's a big old 2-stage you got in that, have you been able to use it in the snow yet?

Yes, the snow blower is a lot of fun. I used it about a month ago when we got the 8-10. Once you find the perfect speed, set the cruise control and it can toss snow 30-40 feet. Next time we have a storm I'll take some action shots!

chevelletown

Welcome to Redsquare dspdante :( That 523Dxi looks like a very impressive tractor :D Is the blower belt driven or is it shaft drive off a front PTO? How rare are these tractors? I may have found another tractor to put on my wish list :P

Nick

One of the big diesels like yours sure would be a nice find. I had only seen a few for sale in the area when they were new. Over the last year or so I have noticed a few on ebay and in some of the traders at a fair price. For now I have my brothers 520Lxi to test out this spring. The 20hp Kaw water cooled engine has lots of power so I can only guess what your 23hp diesel is like.

The xi has a shaft drive transmission but the attachments are belt driven like other WH tractors.

T-Mo

I knew these were shaft driven. I have a brochure from the late 90's with the 5xi series in it. I also saw one at my local dealer a few years back. Very impressive tractor and a good size.

dspdante

Welcome to Redsquare dspdante :( That 523Dxi looks like a very impressive tractor :D Is the blower belt driven or is it shaft drive off a front PTO? How rare are these tractors? I may have found another tractor to put on my wish list :P

The trans is shaft driven but the attachments are belt driven. Not sure how many diesel versions of the xi were produced, love to find out. According to my local dealer, he sold one in the 10+ years he sold the xi series. Perhaps this is indicative of how many are out there. Anyone have a contact at Toro to get some facts?

dspdante

One of the big diesels like yours sure would be a nice find. I had only seen a few for sale in the area when they were new. Over the last year or so I have noticed a few on ebay and in some of the traders at a fair price. For now I have my brothers 520Lxi to test out this spring. The 20hp Kaw water cooled engine has lots of power so I can only guess what your 23hp diesel is like.

The xi has a shaft drive transmission but the attachments are belt driven like other WH tractors.

the diesel is tremendous. The 23HP packs 40ft lbs of torque. this is my first GT so I can't compare to gas twins.

2019909428_9c5c5c07af.jpg

Rollerman

Looks like a pretty neat tractor!

I can only imagine the price had to of been higher than the gas versions & probably kept some potential buyers away?

I'm also curious if these were sold for export too?

dspdante

there was a premium for the diesel version. Also, the 520xi was the only model without power steering. The xi series was exported and still for sale in the UK. As far as the US, Toro sold the series to New Holland and their version is still for sale. Albeit, without the diesel option. Check this link for the New Holland info:

New Holland

2231193160_2a5225bcf9_o.jpg

2231193166_9296ff138f_o.jpg

And yes.... I have my eyes on a loader and dual wheels from someone down South!

Nick

The 518 and 520 xi did not have power steering but the 520 Lxi did have power steering. The price up around $10,000 didnt help sell the diesels. It would be intersting to get a production number on them.

Nick in Ohio

T-Mo

Yes, Toro made the GTs for New Holland. But, since Toro has stopped production on their version, I'm sure they no longer are producing any for NH. If NH has any still in their inventory, I'm betting they're left overs. :D

dspdante

Yes, Toro made the GTs for New Holland. But, since Toro has stopped production on their version, I'm sure they no longer are producing any for NH. If NH has any still in their inventory, I'm betting they're left overs. :D

I was under the impression that Toro sold the production rights to NH. Is that the same as you all are saying?

T-Mo

I was under the impression that Toro sold the production rights to NH. Is that the same as you all are saying?

I wasn't aware that Toro sold the production rights....could be. :D