Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Lug Tires, Whats your preference?

Prater

Just curious if you have a prefernce on lug tires. I am planning on new tires for the 416-8. It will be used as a tiller and I want some good traction. I picked up a set of 55lb (110 total) rear wheel weights yesterday for $30 to help add some traction. What are your thoughts on 23x10.5-12 Carlisle Super Lugs, or the Duro HF255, or even the Carlisle True Power. The Duro tires can save me about 30 to 40 dollars. I have read that you can improve the traction by going to lugs on the front also. Should I stick to the stock size 16x6.5-8 or go to a little taller and wider wheel, just dont want to rub the frame when I turn.

Thanks again for helping a newbie...

GlenPettit

Nice price on the weights.

Lugs on the front don't help traction, they reduce the slide-siding when turning (especially with a front snow plow). Weight on the front will keep the front end down when there is a lot of weight behind the rear axle (like a tiller or field plow being towed behind).

Best Lug Tire: depends on what you are doing (towing, working, racing, pulling) and what you're doing it in (sand, loose or hard dirt, mud, uphill), if it's just for good looks, and on how much you want to spend (new rims, tractor modifications, special order, time). Prices can range from: $20/tire used to many hundreds/tire. [Firestone 23

Rollerman

Steven The Carlisle tires will probably outlast the Duro brand tires since they are a harder rubber compound.....but.

I have a set of Carlisle True Powers & the Duro's in 23x10.50 size...the Duro's get great traction & ride nice because the tire is softer & conforms to the ground much better than the Carlisle.

Both sets are 2 ply on the same width rim.

I like both brands & have never had a problem with either.

Carlisle...longer wear, stiff & don't coform to uneven surfaces, more punture resitant.

Duro...affordable, nice ride, really good traction, probably a higher risk of puncture.

That being said I like the Firestone 23 degree ags best hands down, but they are only made in a 23x8.50 width & most people want the wide ag tire look.

Prater

Glen,

What size lugs are on the front of your tractor? Turning traction is what I was refering on the front tires.

Thanks

Rollerman

Sorry about that.

I use turfs or ribs for steer tires.

Never had ags on front....but think they look weird unless you have front assist.

With a heavy rear implement some front wheel weights or a bracket made to hold some small suitcase weights works great...the cub cadett & JD crowd do it all the time.

If your wanting a cheap trick for better traction doing snow plowin/blowin

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...roller+chaing...

GlenPettit

Prater:

The Lug tires on the front of my C-416 are: Carlisle 16x6.50x8 Lugs, with 'Sugar Beet Juice' filled tires (26#) and steel weights (21#), inflated to 20 psi Air. The rear are Titan Tru-Power 23x10.50x12, also filled and with steel weights & 20 psi Air.

Many people feel that the "Rib" tires are much better for turning control and look nicer (I have a pair to put on (and have filled), but they need a narrower metal wheel and spacers to fit on the C-416, which I still need to find). Glen