Sign in to follow this  
poodle

modification

poodle

hey guys here's my crazy idea not sure about you guy's but I personally would like my snow plow to lift a bit higher. As most of you know with any plow frame long or short it can only go so far before it hit's the front axle . I thought after talking to a fellow wheel horse man he modified his front axle assemble for pulling. Well I thought I could swap out my front axle on my 1056 for one off a 1054 or 953 so I could get the extra height i want and just modify the steering linkages to work. i was wondering if there was any one out there that might be so kind to give me some measurements. like what diameter spindles this style axle had?How thick it is were it bolts to the frame? and a width from center of one spindle to the other? OOYAA there's a post with a pic on here some were with some funny gear box thingy's that were put on the transaxle of a tractor to give it more ground clearance. Any one know what post it was and if they were a custom job or not ? because that might be a possibility too instead of just bigger tires in the rear . well hope to hear some wise info and may be pick up an idea i haven't thought of yet . thanks guys

Rollerman

Poodle I don't know what model of tractor you have.

But if you don't have a 310 or 312...you might want to look into a set of spindles off of one.

The spindles sit taller on them to level those models out with the smaller 6" front wheels & shorter tires.

Anyways....useing those type of spindles will get the nose of your tractor up a little with the 8" rims & standard sized front tires.

Going with the 953/1054/GT14 front axle can be done..but it's a lot of work to either modify the tractor frame to take the thicker axle or shave the axle down to fit.

I use weighted "poly filled" 22" tall rear tires & the taller spindles in front for my plowing setup & have plenty of space under my plow while it's raised.

I'f I'd need more I'll get the loader out. :omg:

poodle

Poodle I don't know what model of tractor you have.

rollerman I have a 1056 that i use for plowing and I do have a friend down the street that's a machinist. So if it has to be shaved it shouldn't be to bad I thought the challenge would be more in the steering?but I did really think of swapping the front tires I have to check but I think I might already have 8 inch rims on the front.I don't have them poly filled but I do have original wheel weights for them :omg: when you changed out your front tires and spindles how much more room would you say you gained?

Rollerman

Poodle with a 1056 & 8" fronts..I'd say the 310/312 tall style spindles will give you another couple inches of clearance.

It would be a direct swap & wouldn't require any machine work, cussing or bleeding.

I run the 22" rear tires in back just because I got them for a bargain & are about 100 pounds apeice, never leak, & also gets the nose up a bit by putting the back of the tractor lower.

A 1056 with the Large frame front axle & rear wheel/tires would look kinda cool though....like a 1056 High Boy. :omg:

poodle

well I was gona do it so I could pile the snow higher and drive it in the yard without digging it up everytime i hit a bump but I never said the cool look wasn't a factor in wanting to do it :omg:

clintonnut

you could just extend the plow brackets lower in the back so the rear of the plow droops down a little more.

Charlie