Sign in to follow this  
pfrederi

Did I outsmart myself

pfrederi

I have been considering installing an HY3 unit (or similar) on my 753 to operate the hydraulic lift cylinder.that a PO installed to raise the sickle bar. It currently uses a functional but very Rube Goldberg electric hydro unit mounted on the front of the tractor.

However I have swapped out the tranny for an 8 speed as the three speed was a tad fast for the sickle bar in heavier grass.

Looking at installation manual there is very little clearance between the Hydro unit and the gear shift. Looks like the high/low will be in the way.

Any one ever mount and HY2/3 on an 8 speed tractor????

Rollerman

Ouch...sounds like you have a clearance issue.

Maybe modify the hi/low shifter to operate at a differant angle?

I have a 953 I'm playing with here...I'm putting an 8 speed in it & I'm useing an electric servo motor to shift it.

That may not be Rube Goldberg enough though? :omg:

What kind of sickle mower do you have?

I have a Haban on a C100 & agree...they are a bear to fold back up.

past7971

Definitely going to be clearance issues but can easily (?) be solved by either shortening height on up-right section for shifter ball or shorten length so hi/low lever wouldnt extend as far out towards dash support. BTW-your 753 shifter will work in the 8-speed but still may need to be bent slightly to the rear so it doesnt rub the HY reservoir/control unit. The idea of the 8-speed AND HY-2/3 on the 753 does sound interesting and post some pics of the finished project when done :omg:

pfrederi

Stephan and Paul: Thank you both. Shortening the hi-lo sounds like a plan. Only need to shift it occasionally so if it is a bit awkward that is OK.

It is a modified Wheel Horse sickle bar and having the hydraulics pick it up to clear posts, bushes etc is a nice feature.

Docwheelhorse

What about putting the hi/lo shift on backwards (pointing towards the rear). Low would be to the right and High would be to the left---but as a benefit only you would know how to shift it! :omg:

Tony

Rollerman

Tony is on to something...your going to have to put a hole in your toolbox under the seat any way for the 8 speed mod.

You could just heat & bend the lever to the left & operate it from within the tool box area by reaching under the seat.

Please forgive my terrible representation...but something like this as imagined from inside the toolbox on your 753.

untitled-2.jpg

past7971

I put a 8-speed in one of my 854's and the hi/low shifter actually comes up through a hole slightly behind and right of the original shifter hole of the dash stand. The toolbox has to be removed in order to install the hi/low shifter retaining pin. It will be too close to toolbox to install backwards without hacking up the toolbox. The best way will probably be shortening up-right where shifter ball installs to stay under reservoir.

pfrederi

I had to make a hole in the hoodstand for the high-low shifter. (Actually a "u" shaped notch so I could roll the rearend into position on aligning studs...) Also today I sort of held the pump unit in place and I think that shortening the shifter handle will be the easiest approach.

A request please. I have perused the photo section but didn't see any pictures of a hydraulic unit installed on a round hood. I have downloaded the install instructions but the pictures are not at all clear enough. (since I have to fabricate the mounting plates)

Anyone have a couple shots of a Hydro unit installed???

also what thickness metal was used to make the mounting plates??

Thank you all