Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

93 520H re-power

zieg72

Anyone re-power their 400-520 series with a Kohler? Maybe one out of a C160? I would like to get away from all the electronics-bells and whistles but retain the ride and ease of steering the 520 gives. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

sorekiwi

Honda (a real one, not a knock off....)

kpinnc

Honda (a real one, not a knock off....)

Oh NO! Not that again! :omg::drool:

I used a Briggs Vanguard on mine:

Picture003.jpg

Works like a champ! No extras, just an ignition switch!

Kevin

zieg72

Got it home, better shape than I expected. Came with the fuel pump and complete clutch.

Attached Image

post-61-1239383587.jpg

past7971

After reading your original post, I noticed you never mentioned engine problems. If the Onan is a strong runner and you just want to get away from all the bells/whistles/switches, have you considered rewiring/bypassing what you have now to eliminate potential problems? I haven't owned one with the Onan but Im under the impression they are a good engine. My neighbor has one on an old Sears (pre-Craftsman) that is probably mid-70's :omg: and its still going strong.

zieg72

After reading your original post, I noticed you never mentioned engine problems. If the Onan is a strong runner and you just want to get away from all the bells/whistles/switches, have you considered rewiring/bypassing what you have now to eliminate potential problems? I haven't owned one with the Onan but Im under the impression they are a good engine. My neighbor has one on an old Sears (pre-Craftsman) that is probably mid-70's :omg: and its still going strong.

The PO was selling the engine separate from what I bought. My 92 has the Onan which runs great. I know if you take care of them they are a great engine but if you have a problem they are costly to get parts for. With the potential wiring issues, I just want to go old school. I absolutely love the gear reduction steering and ride being such a heavy tractor. Maybe find a single cylinder 16 hp Kohler off a C160. I am open to any suggestions and have more time than money anyway. I may even look for a complete C160 for a heart transplant.

Bow_Extreme

Got it home, better shape than I expected. Came with the fuel pump and complete clutch.

Nice ride. That one's worth fixing!! If you don't want it I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

zieg72

Nice ride. That one's worth fixing!! If you don't want it I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

My plans are to make a new-old school reliable backup tractor for winter duty- and in the spring switch to the tiller and can always put the deck on. Once I get her going I will attempt to sell my 269H. I will remove the electrical system for a spare in case I have any issues with my 92. The clutch looks to be new and so are the rear tires.