Sign in to follow this  
Dave85zxt

Transaxle Swap

Dave85zxt

I found out this winter that the current gear ratios in my 856 are too high for snowblowing. I'd like to slow down the tractor so right now I am building my own speed reducing kit based on the one shown on the Toro website. It will work but its kind of a pain in the rear because I will have to switch out the transaxle pulley every spring and fall. In the long term I would like to swap my transaxle for a different model with a low range. Does anyone know if there is a transaxle model out there with a low range that would fit in my 856?

Thanks,

Dave

Rollerman

Any 8 speed rear end with 1" axles or 1 1/8"th will work also if you get the hubs & be a direct bolt in for the 4 speed you have now.

You'll have to do some minor fab work with the brake linkage...but it's a pretty easy swap.

The later tranmissions had a dip stick for checking the oil level too on top...so you'll have to put a hole in the tool box under your seat if you use that type.

Dave85zxt

So that should include an 8 speed out of a 1978 C-101 right?

TT

It'll work, but there's a few more things you need to know.

You also need to notch the bottom lip of the hoodstand in the "console" area to clear the high-low shifter with any 6 or 8 speed you decide to use and to do it correctly you'll need a 4" pulley with a 5/8" bore for the transaxle input shaft. (3 speeds have a 3/4" input shaft)

Wheel Horse did use that specific pulley on three different models but it was 1967 only and they are practically impossible to find. You stand a better chance of finding a similar pulley through an aftermarket source like Browning instead of trying to get an OEM part.

The small filler plate bolted in front of your current shifter is too long and will either need to be removed or replaced with one from a 6 speed tractor of the same era. (Raider 9/10/12/14, etc.)

Dave85zxt

Thanks. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. The pulley won't be a problem for me either. Mcmaster has a heckuva selection if Fleet Farm doesn't carry it.

Dave85zxt

Hi guys,

I posted the same question in the transaxle section but thought I would repost here since I started this thread. I started fitting up this transaxle tonight and see what you mean about the brake band linkage. The transaxle came with a brake drum but no band. Do you have any pictures of an 8 spd brake band setup? Better yet, do you have any pics of how I will have to modify mine to make it work?

Thanks,

Dave