Sign in to follow this  
puddlejumper

Electrolosis Barrel pics

sixpackrt

this is what ill be using i already have 2 100 gallon stock tanks plan on getting a 150 or a 300 gallon

"RUBBERMAID" POLY STOCK TANK

Single piece poly

Black

52-7/16"L x 31-1/8"W x 25"H

100 Gal.

7001746h.jpg

linen beige

this is what ill be using i already have 2 100 gallon stock tanks plan on getting a 150 or a 300 gallon

Just some food for thought. Although the 100 gallon tank is probably perfect for frames, etc., don't forget that the solution used in this process is a semi-conductor. What that means is that the more solution your electric charge has to travel through to complete it's circuit the more power is lost in the solution.

To illustrate this set up a tank as you would normally use it and watch the amp meter as you move the part being cleaned and the sacraficial electrodes closer together. The closer they get to one another the higher the amp reading goes. Move them far enough apart and there will be such low current flow that the guage won't be able to read it. More current means more clean.

My point is that anything larger than that 100 gallon tank would probably be wasted. You may want to use it for large parts and something more along the lines of a 55 gallon drum or large trash can (plastic, of course.) for smaller parts.

Coadster32

Awesome find on the bucket, but...I have to agree with Linen Beige. I started in a 5 gallon bucket with small parts. It worked beautiful. I graduated, if you will, to a 55gallon drum when I did the frame, rims, and bigger parts. Now when I do smaller parts in the 55gallon drum, they don't come out as good as they did in the 5 gallon bucket. Bigger isn't always better. :omg:

sixpackrt

Rust Removal using Electrolysis on a large scale

Link

Before

2-plywood-frame.jpg

After

12-first-piece-done.jpg

kpinnc

Interesting link there sixpack.

And just an FYI- if the person who did that particular procedure had NOT used galvanized steel or copper, there would have been no "sludge" to clean up. All steel and cast iron will keep the mix nice and clean. You can re-use it many times before changing the water.

Kevin

CasualObserver

I have seen that before... yes it's on a large scale... but check out how many and the placement of the electrodes and he used a welder for a power supply. Maximum current effectiveness.

linen beige

I have seen that before... yes it's on a large scale... but check out how many and the placement of the electrodes and he used a welder for a power supply. Maximum current effectiveness.

:omg:

sixpackrt

big mike

You could clean the system by reversing the polarity and adding a disposable piece in place of your part.

I could not find washing soda so I used Dirtex cleaning powder from the hardware store.

sixpackrt

My setup

bucket.jpg

battcharger.jpg

battcharger1.jpg

c141h.jpg

c141h5.jpg

c141h1.jpg

c141h2.jpg

c141h3.jpg

c141h4.jpg

bubbles.jpg

sixpackrt

grid.jpg

grid1.jpg

tub.jpg

tub2.jpg

tub1.jpg

JonW

Sixpackrt, is the hood done yet..........

:thumbs2:

sodbuster

will the electr :thumbs2: o barrell take rust out of the bottom of a gas tank??

sawhorse

The electrolysis process will remove rust from gasoline tanks. So be careful how long it is in the solution, as your tank may develop leaks at the seams.

bo dawg

Interesting link there sixpack.

And just an FYI- if the person who did that particular procedure had NOT used galvanized steel or copper, there would have been no "sludge" to clean up. All steel and cast iron will keep the mix nice and clean. You can re-use it many times before changing the water.

Kevin

Hey Kevin do you have a pic of the one you made with all steel? I think I will try that.

bo dawg

What will it do to bearings if left on (like front rims or spindles)? does it hurt them?

bitten

Just tried this yesterday, so far so good. Put an old rusted bell in for a test and after an hour it was done. I used sodium bicarbonate(baking soda), 20amp charger, and some old rusted posts. I will get some better sacrif. rods and do a better job of wiring it up. Right now I have a hood cooking and cant wait to see how it comes out.

I would have never found this out if it hadent been for this forum.

A big thanks to you guys.

P.J.