Sign in to follow this  
puddlejumper

Electrolosis Barrel pics

puddlejumper

Here are pictures of the electrolosis barrel, that was requsted by HorseCravens, and a short explanatiion.

Wheels soaked approx 24 hrs (after school one day to after school the next day). A pressure washer would take off more, what is left will scrape or rub off with steel wool.

Postive to fence post / Negative to wheel / 1 cup Arm & Hammer powder laundry detergent to 5 gallons of water. Light (supposedly helps flow of current & visually shows current is flowing).

I can use more voltage, but I have way too many kids around (Block & Town Dad, don't ya know).

Warnings: Will take off plated materials ie: chrome, gold & silver. Will also remove small amounts of aluminum unevenly, could cause pitting.

100_0694.jpg

100_0691.jpg

100_0692.jpg

100_0693.jpg

Coadster32

You might have better results with a manual charger. Either way, I'll be interested in watching.

Duff

You might have better results with a manual charger. Either way, I'll be interested in watching.

Chris, I'm going to guess (and only a guess!) the light in the line creates a constant current draw that "tricks" the automatic charger into thinking the "battery" (electrolysis tank) still needs "charging", rather than kicking off to "float" mode. Those with more experience may correct me...... :drool:

Question for the electrolysis gurus among you, please. If you put in a part with grease or oil still on it, does this just float to the surface and can it be skimmed off so you don't coat the newly cleaned part with grunge? I know the rust and other gunk usually sinks to the bottom......

As you may have guessed, I am only a few days out from building my own tank!

Thanks to all,

Duff :omg:

Brian1045

Also from what I've been reading...if you use more metal surrounding your part you will get better results.

That way the charge/current surrounds the part you are trying to de-rust.

Example:

Use 3 or 4 more T-Posts instead of one, and wire them in a series.

Looking good regardless!! :omg:

64s

Just to add to Brian1045's reply, the more sacrifical rods around the tub the better. The electrolysis works on a "line of sight" basis, so if the piece being cleaned is surrounded by the rods, it will clean much quicker.

You can test this by putting a piece in your tank that has only one rod. In a few hours check it, the side facing the rod will be the cleanest. If you put a rod on both the front and back of a piece, both sides will clean equally.

Dual Wheels

I have had a drive shaft and yoke from a D-250 tiller..(can't get it apart)..in an e-tank for a few hours but I think you should be useing Arm and Hammer washing soda not laundry soap..I set mine up from this ...

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Seems to work well.. :omg:

ol550

Have been "playing" with my electrolysis tank for a couple of weeks now and have to say I should have done it sooner. :drool: I did try something different though. In my 44 gallon garbage can I add about 2 cups of Simple Green as well as the washing soda. Seems to get the nasty stuff to go to the bottom instead of floating on top and any paint on the part gets loosened up to the point that a pressure washer takes it off. And it sure makes abrasive blasting the part for final cleanup a whole lot easier. :omg: Mike

Even stuck in a couple of throttle cables that were headed for the landfill and freed them up too. :drool:

WHC-125

Should you use washing soda or baking soda? :omg:

sorekiwi

Should you use washing soda or baking soda? :omg:

I think I may have read that baking soda does work, but the chemistry is different. I've only ever used Washing soda, or a washing soda/lye mix. If you use straight washing soda you can put your hands in the mix.

IMG_1874.jpg

Guest fireman

That's exactly what I used and it works great.

Bill

Should you use washing soda or baking soda? :drool:

Chris I use washing soda and it worked pretty good..... i't's still up in the air about using more amps... :omg:

wheelhorsecravins

Here are pictures of the electrolosis barrel, that was requsted by HorseCravens, and a short explanatiion.

Wheels soaked approx 24 hrs (after school one day to after school the next day). A pressure washer would take off more, what is left will scrape or rub off with steel wool.

Postive to fence post / Negative to wheel / 1 cup Arm & Hammer powder laundry detergent to 5 gallons of water. Light (supposedly helps flow of current & visually shows current is flowing).

I can use more voltage, but I have way too many kids around (Block & Town Dad, don't ya know).

Warnings: Will take off plated materials ie: chrome, gold & silver. Will also remove small amounts of aluminum unevenly, could cause pitting.

thanks puddlejumper I will try it out and ajust as needed, mike :omg:

Coadster32

That's exactly what I used and it works great.

How'd that rim come out? Did I miss a posted pic?? :omg:

Rod(NASNUT)

wheelhorsecravins when you QUOTE someone you do not need to add all the pic's again. Some of our members do not have DSL and it takes longer for it to load.

CasualObserver

duplicate pics taken care of.

Brian1045

I too have jumped on the band wagon. I ordered some washing soda from ebay, but I didn't want to wait until it got here so I started mine up with regular baking soda. It seems to be working rather well. After about 20 min....the water is pretty nasty already.

I know this isn't my thread, but if you don't mind I'll post a couple of pics of when I first fired it up.

NOTE:

Some people have used this process without a battery for resistance. My charger will not work or "pull down" unless I use a battery.

100_1190.jpg

100_1191.jpg

kpinnc

Brian,

Glad to hear someone say baking soda works well that has already seen the results of the washing soda use. I've read several say they have "heard" baking soda works, but no one has said they've used both.

I have ordered some washing soda online, because it apparently not been discovered in this part of the country (along with indoor plumbing, electricity, high school, and dental hygene). :omg:

Just kidding. I love North Carolina, but some parts of it are just plain stupid.

Kevin

CasualObserver

I had to look a couple places to find that same A&H Washing soda.... I couldn't find it in any of the big mega-mart-everything-under-the-sun stores, but the little local grocery in my small town had it right on the shelf. ?? :omg:

Rollerman

I had a the same luck as Jason apparently.

Couldn't find washing soda & instead use bakeing soda when I first set up my cleaning tank " a 30 gallon barrel".

A block away we have a small town grocery/liquor store & noticed they had it there. :omg:

For what it's worth I think the electrolysis cleaning works slick & have had great results too. :drool:

Guest fireman

Chris,

I already primed the rim before I had a chance to take a picture. Sorry!

Jeff

wheelhorsecravins

wheelhorsecravins when you QUOTE someone you do not need to add all the pic's again. Some of our members do not have DSL and it takes longer for it to load.

sorry, all I did was reply, the pictures must have appeared all by them self, or I used the wrong reply area????? mike :omg:

kpinnc

All this talk of a cheaper way to clean parts is killing me, so I just had to try it!

Just to add to Brian1045's reply, the more sacrifical rods around the tub the better. The electrolysis works on a "line of sight" basis, so if the piece being cleaned is surrounded by the rods, it will clean much quicker.

Since the "sacrificial" rods are just that, and the better you surround them the better it works, I am trying a rolled section of wire. 360 degrees of coverage:

muledrive158-1.jpg

Within about 30 minutes, the "goo" is beginning to show at the top of the tank. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

muledrive159-1.jpg

Dang! 2 hours into it, and it's a cookin!

muledrive160-1.jpg

Kevin

oldandred

All this washing soda and baking soda make me want to take a bath and bake a cake :omg:

Duff

sorry, all I did was reply, the pictures must have appeared all by them self, or I used the wrong reply area????? mike :drool:

Mike, not to worry! When you hit the "Quote" button on someone's post it copies everything across to the posting page.

To avoid posting the pictures twice, go the lower of the two white box areas (where the quoted material shows up) and delete the %7Boption%7D code thingies and anything that appears between them. The material you'll be deleting will look something like "http:.........(bunch of letters and numbers)"

This should just leave you with the text of the material you're quoting. There may be a faster way to do this, but what I do seems to work.

Hope this helps!

Duff :omg: