Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Pull behind mower

IthacaJeff

Hi all:

I am in the need of a large mower deck -- like a 60" deck, which is much larger

than my 310-8 can mount -- and am wondering if any of you have experience

with a pull behind self-powered mower, like the kind Swisher sells. I'm interested

in a finish mower (not a brush cutter) and wondering what kind of experience you

folks have with them. A used units is much less expensive than any tractor with a

60" deck. Do they cut well, that is, can they really substitute for a regular mower?

Do you think my 10 Hp WH can pull the thing? The Swisher website recommends a

16 hp motor, which may be too far out of my hp range, but I'd like to know your

opinions anyway.

Thanks,

Jeff in Ithaca

BTW, I may be willing to trade some items for a larger horsepower Wheelhorse if

necessary. . . I ain't got much and most is pretty beat up, but ??

C-Series14

Had an older 40" Swisher trail mower that I used for several years. It was a life saver. Cut my mowing in half. Mowed several 2 plus acre areas. Pulled it behind a 48" deck for a total of 84" of cut. Not real good on uneven ground or around alot of trees but that is something you learn to deal with. Some scalping. As far as if yours will pull it, I would think it would, it rolls on wheels, and if you don't try mowing 2' high grass, the 8-Speed should be OK. I pulled it with a 16 and 17hp tractor so I didn't even know it was back there till I would catch a tree of fence every now and then! :omg:

Nick

I bet that 16hp rating is for lawn tractors like an MTD. If the 310 had a 48" deck then maybe mowing tall grass and towing the trail mower might slow things down but I doubt it would be much of a problem otherwise.

kpinnc

I have pulled a stalled F-150 Ford truck with my 310. It's unlikely any towed mower smaller than an aircraft carrier would hurt yours.

Kevin

wheel horse 1045

wheelhorse made one for pulling airplanes to it was called an airhorse and it was a c 120

rustbucket

wheel horse 1045 the wheel horse company itself didnt make the Airhorse a seperate company took already made tractors and modified them to be small air craft tugs.

jusjeepn

Here's my 44" Swisher. The 20hp is definately over kill. My Electro 12 with 48" deck pulls this with ease! It does scalp on uneven ground and I do not mow around the fruit trees with it. If you can live with the scalping it's great! I won't part with mine as long as I live here (3 acres of mowable ground). It definately has cut my mowing time down, almost in half. Sometimes I mow without it just to get a little more seat time :drool: ! I have even put it on the back of the 4 wheeler and "modified" the gov. just to speed things up :omg: !

027.jpg

ronscat

I pulled a 44 inch Polaris finish mower with my 6.5hp powered Sears tractor thru some tall grass that was so tall that that someone from the road said they pulled over to see what came out the end of the swath that I cut. :omg: I didn't realize I was putting on a show. I just raised the deck up for about a 4 inch cut to start with to knock the weeds down and came back over the whole thing with it set to 2 inches. I really felt good with the job the little rascal did. We will be running it over some pretty tall ryegrass when my son gets home in a coupla weeks to overseed with bermudagrass seed. I may pull it with a 6.5hp Wheel Horse or the 9.0hp Wheelhorse this time. I will try to take some photos of our operation to post on here.

Ron

can whlvr

I too have used the polaris finish mower behind a 308-8 and i have some hilly grounds and the tractor handled it with no problem because u just pull it as it has its own motor to turn the blades.

bitten

I have used my 310-8 to plow my garden, even new plots and pull a 4' yard roller. I would think that you would be able to pull 3 or 4 ganged up Swisher mowers with it.

P.J.

IthacaJeff

Thanks all, good advice is never in short supply on this site!

I'll be on the lookout for a tow-behind. . .

Jeff in Ithaca, NY