Sign in to follow this  
Drydock

Need Breaker Cam

Drydock

Now with pictures! with alternator installed, the engine is at .080 BTDC, the lobe of the cam I have is still 90 Degrees or so from opening.

Attached Image

post-61-1238988443.jpg

sorekiwi

It looks to me that your alternator/points arrangement is completely different to mine. Here's my picture again:

IMG_2242.jpg

Looks like the follower that actuates the points is in a completely different place than on mine. :omg:

Drydock

Yes, I'm hoping someone will recognize it. hopefully there's a cam out there somewhere. This once belonged to the local small engine guy, I bought it at his estate auction, it seems he removed the ignition coil and substitutited an external automotive coil, but it all works fine if I can just find a cam. Here's a picture of the old crankshaft with the integral cam.

Its hard to see, but the screwdriver is resting on the cam lift point at .080 BTDC. Note how its oriented to the flywheel key.

Attached Image

post-61-1239128589.jpg

oldandred

Hummmmm are you sure thats a charging coil looks like a lighting coil now youve go to know what the crank shaft come out of theres so many different ones

Drydock

The crankshaft came out of a seized 75117E, as did the alternator and everything else, it was original equipment on a L156 Lawn ranger. THe flywheel has quite powerful permanent magnets around its entire circumferance. I purchased a short block 6110B, which from what I can find out was the closest available block. It did not come with a cam, and the old block had the cam machined into the crankshaft. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to find another crankshaft with the integral cam . . .

past7971

The magneto/alternator in the pictures TT and sorekiwi have posted are the CORRECT one your L156 SHOULD have had on it. I have no idea where the set-up you have now came from but it is the WRONG one for what you are trying to do. Notice where the "tab" to activate points is located. Somewhere in the 40+ years your Lawn Ranger has been around, someone probably swapped out original engine/charging system for what you have now. The simple solution is to get the correct magneto needed to make this work unless you would really rather swap out crankshafts in your new engine to keep/make your incorrect system work.

Drydock

Its interesting, as the alternator orientation is correct for the original crankshaft/integral cam. Its becoming clear though, that the easiest way to return this engine to service would be with a different alternator. Any ideas where to find one?