Sign in to follow this  
Old Iron

Battery not charging

Old Iron

I haven't had the tractor running since the last snowfall. I went out 2 weeks ago to start it and just let her run and the battery was almost dead, then died trying to start her. I was out today to put the new exhaust stack on (awesome, by the way! :omg: ) and had to jump start her. My son and I took turns driving it around the yard, about a half hour total and it didn't charge the battery at all.

The starter/generator works to start it, so can I assume the voltage regulator is shot?...I hope. I really don't want to have to rebuild the starter/generator. :drool: The voltage regulator looks like the one in my '71 F100, is it an automotive one?

iicap

Old Iron, if you go back about 4 posts below yours in "engines" see the one about "voltage regulator", started by 64s, check out that thread and see if some of the info will help you out

64s

John, I just went thru this with Richard and its probably the voltage regulator. Before you toss it, check all your wiring and make sure you have good contact all around and that there is good continuity with all wires. Also check the output on the generator. If all's good, its the VR. Good Luck!!!!!!!

Old Iron

Thanks guys. :omg:

64s, I was looking at the wireing and relize it all probably needs to be replaced. It's on my "To Do" list for this summer. I'll check it like you suggested. It very well could be a bad wire.

oldandred

hummmm have you cleaned the post on the battrie