Sign in to follow this  

carb adjust.

i have a 1966 856 and it doesnt like to stay runnin for long... ill hear it die then turn a knob.. over and over to baby it back to the garage. im sure the carbs just not set right but i have no idea how to do this. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

jerrell

:drool: Hi not an expert at this, someone will jump in here and help you out further but the first thing i would do is to clean everthing, it sounds as if you have a gas flow problem, the engine has to have three things, air, gas and spark, if any of these are missing, the engine will not run right, it sounds as if you have air and spark, so that leaves gas, when i have something like that , i go the whole route to eliminate all problem areas, gas tank cleaning , blow out gas line,(check line for deteration, sometimes small pieces flow into carb stopping it up) check the filter, replace if neccessary, then to the carb, you can take it apart and clean with a carb cleaner and reinstall, or since it is apart do a rebuild, pretty reasonable, according to your engine and carb. it is usually pretty easy, if you haven't done it before believe me it is easier than it looks..just pay attention as to how you take it apart. i'll bet you can do it. :omg: there is either one or two adjustment screws with springs on them , if so i back them out, clean the openings , in reinstalling them i very gently screw them in until they meet resistance STOP do not overtighten them, then back them out 1 and 1/2 turns and try to start readjusting as you go , should correct it.

good luck and let us hear how you do....

Brian1045

Maybe this will help (combined with Jerrell's response) with some adjustments.

nd3o07.jpg