Sign in to follow this  
Astrolite

Did I create a monster?

Astrolite

I picked up an older 42" SD mower deck (late 60s?) and modified it to fit my "75" C-100 by adding the more modern deck mounting hardware. The deck fits the tractor very nicely but now I'm not sure what mower deck drive belt to use. I have several old Gates A105 belts that I thought sure were for this tractor but they are too long. Should a standard drive belt work for this combination or did I create a monster by mixing these parts? Does anyone know if the Gates A105 belt is a direct replacement for a mower drive belt on a C-100/42" SD? Help!

Operator

What I do is take an old unwanted belt and install that and cut to fit then take that off and bring to the belt store and match up with right length. Works every time. I keep old belts just for that purpose.

Hope that helps, :omg:

Randy

KyBlue

String works good for that too...`

Astrolite

Thanks, two really good ideas! I did find out that the A105 belts I have are 105" (makes sense, I guess :omg: ) and the stock Wheel Horse belt is 103". Gives me hope. I'll definitly take a measurement before I order anything though. Thanks again.

past7971

As far as "creating a monster", I would say no. The earlier and later 42" decks look identical except for brackets. If you mounted the tach-a-matic brackets correctly to an earlier deck, other than a possible drive belt pulley diameter difference, I see no reason why the "original" belt would not work. The original belt (102742) has been superceded to 94-2501 and is 1/2"x103". Try your 105" and see what you get. If too loose, then hopefully the 103" will do the trick :omg:

Astrolite

Try your 105" and see what you get.

The 105" are definately to long. I took 49r Operator's advise and cut one of the three 105" belts I have, looped it around the pulleys and measured. The stock Wheel Horse 103" should fit just fine.

Hopefully I can get some paint on the deck before the belt arrives Wednesday. That grass is starting to grow!