HorseFixer

Dukes 1956 RJ-35 Restoration

HorseFixer

I put the 701 on hold for a bit getting that tractor ready for the show and doing a good job wasn't going to happen, So I started on the 56 RJ-35 restoration. I will get back on the 701 after the show. Here are some pics of the tear down.

56RJRESTO001.jpg

56RJRESTO039.jpg

56RJRESTO063.jpg

56RJRESTO085.jpg

Never been iside a Pond rear end before damn thing turns the gears with a chain :drool: Gotta say its a pretty neat setup!

56RJRESTO093.jpg

56RJRESTO092.jpg

56RJRESTO095.jpg

56RJRESTO100.jpg

Removing the Bearings!

56RJRESTO104.jpg

Over to the parts washer we go!

56RJRESTO114.jpg

Examining a worn shaft.

56RJRESTO111.jpg

56RJRESTO113.jpg

I see some Tig welding in order on this shaft, then it will need turned down on a lathe. :omg:

Suburban 550

Lookin' good buddy. :drool: Can't wait to see it done. Do you ever sleep? :omg:

Coadster32

then it will need turned down on a lathe.

Too far from CT, otherwise I'd be glad to help.

I agree, I don't think Duke sleeps either. :omg:

Suburban 550

Chris, I only wish I had all his ambition. Then again he's a year younger than me. I know for sure he'll have this one done for the June show or he'll never hear the end of it from me. :omg:

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! :omg: Coadster sure would take ya up on that offer, sure wish I had a lathe! Anyways got my K-90 back from thge Engine shop yesterday. He did a complete rebuild the crank was in good shape, bored 10 over new piston, rings and rod, new valve guides, ground valves, new seals and complete gasket set. Everything with Original Kohler Parts. Anyways this one complete came to $392.00 and that included shotblasting the engine. I thought was a little high compared to the K-161 that he charged me $403.00 but found out these smaller discontinued engines the parts run pretty high. <_< Today I welded the grooved shaft shown earlier and he will turn that down on his lathe and is charging me a 20 spot. Tonight did some more blasting after fixing my air dryer that incidentally nicked my thumb up pretty good :drool: took a big hunk outta it almost down to the bone! Prolly should have had stitches Sure am glad it wasn't my PRE-HEATER finger :drool: anyways heres some pics!

56RJRESTO119.jpg

56RJRESTO120.jpg

56RJRESTO116.jpg

Suburban 550

Glad to see you still at it, Duke :omg: Bet you that thumb really hurts. Not a bad price on the motor, at least you know what you have.

hounddoghundzsa

:omg: And now we all know where the ambition comes from - he bleeds Wheel Horse Red! LOL :drool:

Brian1045

I was thinking that too. Looks like the perfect color for my next restore. :drool: :omg:

hounddoghundzsa

..............Has a real nice gloss, doesn't it :omg: ?

KyBlue

Good start Duke!!

WHC-125

Maybe Duke has Wheel horse Red in his blood :omg:

Duke, looks like its coming along very nicely and cant wait to see it all done. Now you seem like me jumping from project to project :drool:

Butch

Hey Dukester I just realized something. MJ is not just your wife ,she's your personal photographer. She has a full time job following you around with a camera! :omg:

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! Butch I am a lucky man to have a supportive wife in this hobby. A picture is worth a thousand words. I really enjoy looking at other peoples pictures and tear downs and re-assembly. Hopefully I can contribute and others can can learn and get Ideas as I have. :omg:

Anyways Got the shaft that had a groove wore in back today. I welded it at work on friday and dropped it by my engine doodes shop Friday eve, and he turned the shaft down between a live center. Here is a before and after pics. :drool: These parts are not available any longer, any replacement parts would have to be machined. The 3/4" linkage pins in the front end are wollered out also. I stopped by my local Toro Dealer and picked up some clevis pins and he is facing off the end on a lathe and I will drill the linkage holes in them. I will have 3 sets, one for this tractor and one set for my 55 and a future 57 someday which will complete my 35's.

BEFORE

56RJRESTO113.jpg

After

56RJRESTO124.jpg

Should Hold A Bearing Now. Maybe The Next 50 years as

a trailer queen will make it last longer! :drool:

56RJRESTO126.jpg

Suburban 550

Nice job, Duke. :omg: Looks like new. Should hold up for a long time.

KyBlue

Nice work!

HorseFixer

Got the steering wheel off today, I took TT's advice and just hacked the shaft no big deal and a 3/4" new shaft is like $9.00 this allowed me to better get the Roll Pin out without screwing with the shaft in the wheel. After the roll pin was removed from the wheel I gave the 20 ton press a workout. Also did some more dissasembly and more sandblasting things are comming along real good.

56RJRESTO127.jpg

56RJRESTO129.jpg

56RJRESTO131.jpg

A Family That Blasts together Stays Together :omg: My Grandaughter Henny came over tonight and had to get in on the action!

56RJRESTO134.jpg

56RJRESTO135.jpg

• Like 1

Butch

And you even found time to have a family? :omg: You da man. I don't know how you do it. :drool: Yep that press can be a life saver and without one it is hard to substitute something else. :drool:

HorseFixer

Well I am into it again hot and heavy. One of the big problems these RJ's have and MR POND should have seen is the fact that the hood has straps spot welded to it, and the tank is suspended from the straps. Often with gas in the tank the hood bows down or buckles a little bit! Well this isn't the Duke's first rodeo I gave it a good fixin something MR POND should have done. I Fabricated and welded a U shaped bracket with gussets. This is completely hidden and will support the hood. Once everything is painted I will install thin rubber between the bracket and the hood so there will be no scratching in the paint. Anyways here are some pictures should have more later am heading to my Buddy's blast shop.

56RJRESTO137.jpg

56RJRESTO138.jpg

56RJRESTO139.jpg

56RJRESTO146.jpg

NO MORE SAG!

56RJRESTO147.jpg

56RJRESTO148.jpg

sorekiwi

Looks good Duke!

But watch out- the Wheel Horse police will be after you!! :omg:

HorseFixer

Looks good Duke!

But watch out- the Wheel Horse police will be after you!! :drool:

:drool: Thanks Mike, Im sure there will be some that will question that mod but IMHO its better to take care of the problem at its source than to skirt the problem and just let the hood stay bucked up! :omg:

HorseFixer

Well its 2:11 a.m. just got home from my pals Bryans Blast Shop he is the same guy who blasted my 1959 ford F1 about 17 years ago, I piped his whole building back then with 2" steel airline and just finished another upgrade to his blast shop hooking up a ingersol screw compressor and air dryer which will be going online in a couple of weeks. Anyways he blated the frame and hood tonight. I will be touching up some chicken chit bubble gum welds that were done on the frame when the tractor was built, and will be doing the bodywork on the dings in the hood. I will assemble the rear end, and then back over to Bryans where the frame will get another blasting touch up friday and will be primed along with a bunch of other parts. Here are some pics of some late night work! Awe heck in a couple hours of sleep and I will be right back at it! :omg:

56RJRESTO152.jpg

The Master Blaster

56RJRESTO151.jpg

56RJRESTO156.jpg

56RJRESTO160.jpg

Maybe Ill Just Clear Coat It!

56RJRESTO165.jpg

56RJRESTO166.jpg

56RJRESTO167.jpg

• Like 1

Coadster32

Looking good. Nice job on the hood support. :omg:

Suburban 550

Nice fab job on the hood support. :omg: Like the Master Blasters sandblasting setup. :drool: You should be done in no time.

Rollerman

Duke your makeing fast progress on the 35.

Your friends blasting shop looks like a heavy duty setup too.

Butch

Man that is some serious sand blasting set up. I've never seen a set up like that.

I can't figure out what the hose is going to his helmet. I would imagine for this type of blasting he would need an air supply to breath because of the sand and dust. But that looks like a compressor hose going to his helmet. He must have one serious compressor by the looks of the hose feeding the sand.

I don't know how much business he gets with that set up but he could make some good money around here. People are having the barnacles sand blasted off their boat hulls. That's something you freshwater boaters don't have to worry about.