dusted800

how much gear oil in tiller

dusted800

Can someone tell me how much gear oil to put in a 36 inch tiller, I have search the archives but can't find anything. thanx. wnk.

CasualObserver

You didn't give your model number, but most are 1

stevebo

I think I did something wrong because my 36 inch tiller took about 3 quarts and that did not fill it all the way :omg:

iicap

stevebo maybe someone will have a correct capacity for you and dusted800. Most any gear case should be filled to the bottom of the fill/check hole cold. If a dipstik in involved that should be used. The gear case should be sitting level in its normal operating position. If your tiller was not attached to the tractor sitting on level ground and tiller lowerd you might put in to much or to little lubricant

WHC-125

I think I did something wrong because my 36 inch tiller took about 3 quarts and that did not fill it all the way :omg:

Something dont sound right. Im not an expert on tillers but an 8 speed transmission holds 2 quarts so I dont think a tiller would hold 3 quarts.

Dual Wheels

A tiller only holds a 32 oz to have the correct amount of oil. You don't add oil (3 quarts.. :drool: )..until it is full..that creates alot of internal pressure and blows out all the seals. :omg:

stevebo

guys,

i filled it from the top and there was no dipstick. it is not filled all the way either. i guess i need to do some research on this topic. i thought it was strange. maybe i filled the wrong area ? help me please !!

Dual Wheels

Greasing and Lubrication

Service Interval/Specification

Check the gear lube level in the gear case after every 25

operating hours or once a year, whichever occurs first. Gear

lube changes are not required.

Gear lube type: SAE 90-140 API service GL-4 or GL-5.

Refill capacity: 32 oz. (946 ml)

Checking Gear Lube

Position the tractor and tiller on a level surface and

lower the attachment lift so that the tiller tines are on

the ground. Set the parking brake and turn the ignition

key to off. Remove the key.

Clean the area around the lower pipe plug (Fig. 26).

Remove the pipe plug carefully because the oil level

may be above the level of the pipe plug.

If gear lube runs from the case when the plug is

removed, the lube in the case is sufficient. Oil may be

added as necessary.

This is straight out of a tiller owner's manual (Model 79370)

stevebo

thank you very much !! i filled on the top side pipe plug however failed to open the lower one which is the fill level. thanks!!

dusted800

thanx dual wheels, thats what I was looking for. wnk.

treepatrol

Well at least its been flushed with new oil hahaha :omg:

Bow_Extreme

I believe the manual states the tiller oil must be checked in a certain way. I think mymanual states the tiller must be disconnected from the tractor, tilted in a vertical positon, and than check the level of the fluid. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sue I remember reading that somewhere. I haven't been able to finish hooking mine up yet so I need to go back and re-read that section.

treepatrol

Manual says 1Quart = 32fluid oz

Dual Wheels

Position the tractor and tiller on a level surface and

lower the attachment lift so that the tiller tines are on

the ground. Set the parking brake and turn the ignition

key to off. Remove the key.

Clean the area around the lower pipe plug (Fig. 26).

Remove the pipe plug carefully because the oil level

may be above the level of the pipe plug.

If gear lube runs from the case when the plug is

removed, the lube in the case is sufficient. Oil may be

added as necessary.

I copied and pasted this right out of a tiller manual :omg: The only tiller I know of that you turn upside down is for a D250 :drool:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Putting this up again to help those who are now using their tiller attachment. I could not remember how much oil to put in my tiller since I am changing it this year. Figured I am probably not the only one. I bought some Lucas gear oil at Advance today for $9dollars.

That was for 1 quart ( 32 ounces ).

Van

unsub

Ok, so I recently acquired a 36" tiller model 7-1252 and after a few modifications have it installed and working on my 314-8. I decided to change out the gear oil before doing any real tilling since I have no idea when the PO did it. After finding this thread and searching out the owner’s manual online (mine said only ¾ qt to fill) I drained the old and put in the new. I don’t know if it’s different on other models, but mine has an upper pipe plug for filling and a lower pipe plug for draining, no dipstick. I removed the lower plug and then raised the tiller to drain it, put the plug back in and added the new. The manual says that if you remove the lower pipe plug and fluid comes out then there is enough, but it seems to me that with the tiller in the “operating position†that after filling with the recommended amount, that the fluid level would be higher than the drain plug. Also, that leaves the housing area to the tractor end of the tiller empty between the fill and drain plugs. Does that sound right? I just want to be sure before I wreck this thing that I spent a year looking for.

mrc

hi guys, i too have a 36 inch tiller that i'm fixing up for my friend RC. its attached to a late 70's C-series tractor. i do not know the actual attachment part #. the only decal on the tiller says toro/wheelhorse. so i'm assuming its a 1990's and up tiller. based on this discussion i took a standard clothes hanger and cut it in the shape of a dipstick. with the tiller attached to the tractor and the tines resting on a flat surface i stuck the straight piece of clothes hanger in the tiller fill hole. i measured about 7 inches. i had previously filled the tiiler box with 3 qts/ of gear oil. it was up to the top of the chain. i then sucked out some oil using a suction gun. til the level was at or about 3.5 inches of the gearbox. in other words half way. if i used the bottom plug as a level guage there would be no oil as the bottom plug is VERY near the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i then took the tractor to a friends house and tilled his garden, EXCELLENT!!!! i'm not saying this is the right amount but worked for me!!! regards mike in mass.

autoxman

For the RT-367 this is what it says in the manual

"Maintenance

The gear case is filled with oil at the factory and should not require filling. However, the oil level should be checked before using tiller and periodically afterwards. To check oil level the tiller should be on the tractor with the tines touching the ground. Remove the pipe plug on the bottom of the gear case. If the oil runs from this hole then the oil is at its proper level. General purpose transmission type SAE 90 weight oil is used. When storing the unit for a long period of time, smear a light coat of grease on the tines to prevent rust."

Hope This Helps

Mark

WorkHorseowner

Mine says to use 90-140. Will 85-140 work okay? Or do you need exactly 90-140?

mike avad

thank you for this info I needed this also

oliver2-44
On 4/29/2012 at 8:06 PM, WorkHorseowner said:

Mine says to use 90-140. Will 85-140 work okay? Or do you need exactly 90-140?

85-140 should be excellent

ineedanother
21 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

85-140 should be excellent

I've read somewhere (I might be mistaken) that you should never really need to check or change the gear oil in tillers unless you have a leak or tear them down for some reason. I don't comply or condone that but have found that the drain and fill plugs can be a bit obstinate (stuck, buggers, PIAs, :angry-cussingwhite: etc.).