Sign in to follow this  
Country Cadillac

Sunstrand Hydo pump shaft replacement

Country Cadillac

Hello guys..... well my seal came in finally and I've started the process of removing the pump from the charge pump housing on my D-160. Not going that great yet however. I don't seem to be able to seperate them. The 4 bolts came out just fine and I've done some tapping with the plastic mallet for an hour or so , applied some pb blaster and nothing seems to be letting go. Do I need to relieve some internal pressure ??? Just not sure what to try next :drool: I don't want to try and pry the two surfaces apart and ruin the sealing faces, so maybe someone could make a suggestion on how to get them apart , sure would be appreciated right now :omg::drool: ....Ray

past7971

Hey Ray--Does this model have the brace on the input side of pump where shaft goes to it? I went through this "glorious" job on a 18-auto once. Those D-series are built like a tank and about a pain to do what your involved in. Take care and hopefully you dont have as much "fun" as I did doing it. I like the way they are mounted on the "smaller" tractors MUCH better.

Country Cadillac

Paul.... there is a bracket that holds the charge pump housing in place, but according to the manual there are only the 4 3/8-16 socket head cap screws that hold the pump to the housing. I'm not going to remove the charge pump housing, just the pump itself or at least thats the plan. Don't see any need to distrube the rest of the hydraulic system. It didn't sound like you had a lot of fun on your D-180. I do appreciate your response................have a good day RAy

past7971

Lets just say that it was a "learning" experience--Even after being in the Marines and on Navy ships, I "learned" or came up with some very interesting new words and phrases before it was all done and back together again :omg:

MaineDad

Ray,

You have to take them off as one unit and then separate them once removed. There are a couple of hex screws on the inside that need to be removed.

Hydro1.jpg

OK?

Country Cadillac

MIcah....from your picture, your pump is attached directly to the trans and mine is atached to the flywheel with a coupling. Mine is a D-160 and the manual didn't mention anything about hexscrews inside that had to be removed. Are our 2 setups different ??? a little confused....Ray

Country Cadillac

Micah....Not sure if this is of any help, but the pump tag(Sunstrand) has 3 lines of #"s 90-1173 LH the 2nd line has 3102902-02, the 3rd line has 04-WH 23818. The model of the 1980 D-160 is 01-16os01.

Country Cadillac

Well it's a good afternoon......I guess soaking with pb blaster for a couple of days and a much larger hammer did the trick, The pump and pump housing came apart without anything breaking :omg: yaho.... so now on to the next phase........ :drool: guys for all the time and help............enjoy the sunshine.......Ray