Sign in to follow this  
64s

Generator Light

64s

Hi Guys, I think I saw the answer to my question a while back, but I just spent over an hour using the search feature and can't find it.

I finally spent some time with my 856 and got everything running good (smokes alot but hopefully will clear) and noticed the generator light does not light up at all. How do I check to see if the starter/generator is putting out (Not that kind of putting out) or if the generator light is bad. Thanks! :omg:

Buzz

When you turn the key on the generator light should come on. Once you start the engine the light should go out when running at a speed above idle. You can check if it's charging by hooking a voltmeter to the battery. 12+ volts with engine off, 13.7v-14.2 v with engine at full throttle. With the bulb not lighting at all I'd check and make sure it's hooked up and if it is I'd change the bulb. It takes a #53 minature automotive bulb.

past7971

Is the light wired right? Should be a two wire light--one goes to (I) ignition and the other goes to (S) starter on your ignition switch. If you question the actual bulb holder as being any good, unhook wires and hook one to (+) positive and one to (-) negative to bench-test it-light should come on if bulb and holder is good

64s

Thanks!!!!!!!! Once again I'm looking past the simple and want to "fix" it. I appreciate the help -- Bad bulb. :omg:

Lane Ranger

Interestingly I found the Cole Hersee lights used for the dash generator light on Wheel Horse 1054's on a Ryder fleet truck website for sale today. I needed to replace two in my father's 1054 that we are restoring.

They were priced a $5.49 a piece plus shipping.

Here is the link to the Ryder fleet Pruducts listing for the Cole-Hersee Pl-20-RC light.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/...duct_detail.jsp

I am not 100% sure but I beleive this light also was used on other early Wheel Horse tractors with a red generator light.