Sign in to follow this  
Brian

16Hp Onan Twin running wrong...

Brian

This is my first post on this site. To start off I am 14, and I love collecting garden tractors. It started off when I was 5 and my father bought me a 1975 Eaton Viking D6000. After my powerwheels jeep had several battery mods, my dad couldnt take me begging him when the battery would be done charging. So he bought me that Eaton. Ive ridden it since, Its seen alot of abuse through mud and 2-up with my friend and pulling trailers. Then my dad had a John Deere 130 and a Sears Suburban. When I was 10, id drive them around a bit. Then they have been parked for about 2 years. For my 14th birthday my dad gave me his Deere. Then just after that, I found a Sears SS16 in the local classifieds. I bought that up and have been hooked since. I also bought my Sears Suburban off my father with the Hydrolic Front End Loader. That Suburban has been sitting for 3 years and will soon be back and running. So thats a breif history on my tractors.

I also have all my tractors on my youtube channel. Link in my sig.

I am having trouble with my Sears SS16. Its not a WheelHorse, I know but still the same motor. It will start up well, then after a while richen up and start coughing and sputtering. Also some backfireing. It really gets annoying when people look at you saying "haha look at that kid". I have cleaned the carb and adjusted the choke and still nothing. I even added a primer to help with the cold starts. Can anybody help me out? On my youtube channel I have a video of how it sounds when its running like this.

.5racer

My D-160 with the same engine did the same thing ,but mine ran better with the chock on a little ,while it happened . Apon removeing the air breather I restarted and watched the carb as it ran .. Poor fuel flow was the reason when it started missing out . Fuel filter and a cleaning of the vacum fuel pump was what I thought it was. Ran better but not right , just ran a little longer . What I did was put a electric fuel pump from Advanced auto on it and no more problems. Used the lowest PSI type . I have seen some on here say you can get a new vacum style from Napa, I dont know the stock number . Somebody should be by soon and give that to you.. Allso :omg:

Operator

Brian :drool: Didn't see you in the intro area. One of my 520's with the Onan had an issue like that, I ended up with a bit of grass or dirt plugging inside the carb. cleaned carb up and then no problem . How is your tank vent? loosen cap make a difference?

Randy

Nice video :omg:

Rideawaysenior

Brian,

:omg: I had a Roper 16 which is the same machine as your SS. I also had the same problem. I replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the carb and changed the fuel filter. After all of that it did make it run a little better. I found that the intake manifold was loose and I was sucking alot of air. I replaced the gaskets, cranked down the manifold to manufacturer specs, and voila problem solved. When you make a cold start, try spraying some soapy water at the intake and block connection. Make sure the block is cold though that way the water won't evaporate.

Jack

stevebo

When the motor dies down what makes it come back up? Are you pumping the primer bulb ? If that is the case, your fuel pump may be bad. The reasons why you may be losing a prime after you let is sit a while is the needle valve in the carb is not seating properly which is probably a result of a dirty carb.

It is good to see a young guy like you involved in these tractors. Now you need to help us older guys with the comupter skills.... Thanks and good luck-

Brian

Brian,

:drool: I had a Roper 16 which is the same machine as your SS. I also had the same problem. I replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the carb and changed the fuel filter. After all of that it did make it run a little better. I found that the intake manifold was loose and I was sucking alot of air. I replaced the gaskets, cranked down the manifold to manufacturer specs, and voila problem solved. When you make a cold start, try spraying some soapy water at the intake and block connection. Make sure the block is cold though that way the water won't evaporate.

Jack

When the motor dies down what makes it come back up? Are you pumping the primer bulb ? If that is the case, your fuel pump may be bad. The reasons why you may be losing a prime after you let is sit a while is the needle valve in the carb is not seating properly which is probably a result of a dirty carb.

It is good to see a young guy like you involved in these tractors. Now you need to help us older guys with the comupter skills.... Thanks and good luck-

Thank you guys, Ill try the soapy water. New fuel pump last year, got a new filter and cleaned carb and your right it seems much better! :omg:

And it keeps running with the choke. Then I take it off. Yes I am only 14, I already own 4 and my dads yelling at me for room. He gave me my own garage atthe cabin. only 1's there, 2 in the city and 1 at the other cabin. Still looking for a Bolens and a WheelHorse!

Also I was driving it a bit today and it sounds like the slighest 1 cylinder kind-of running almost like it was about to backfire? What could I do here?

iicap

Brian, been following your thread, let us know if you've solved it or not, if not I'll run a couple things by you.

Brian

Brian, been following your thread, let us know if you've solved it or not, if not I'll run a couple things by you.

Alright, thank you,

I am going out to do soapy water on the intake. Ill tell you what happens