Sign in to follow this  
rondo

What can I do with a plow?

rondo

Hey guys - been awhile.

Got some work to do on the drive and wasn't sure what I can actually expect to accomplish with what I currently have at my disposal - or what I can pick up quick and cheap to add to the tractor package.

I've got the B-100 auto with a snow/dozer blade. There's no sleeve or slot hitch with this so I really can't do any rear mounted attachments, at this time - though I'd love to get the hardware to make this a go - not sure what I need.

With what I have currently what can I get done? The driveway is a mix of crushed asphalt and dirt - lost a lot of the topping over the years - and I want to grade it a bit and then get a load of stone (driveway mix) and move it around. I'm guessing the blade won't get a lot done for the first grading step as the drive is pretty hard and packed. (I also have a different tractor [sorry - but it is red] with a sleeve hitch and I suppose I could borrow a box blade or something, but I'd like to use the Horse, if possible.)

Any ideas on what I can do with the plow and also what I need to make the Horse, rear attachment friendly?

Been gone a lot this winter, but I'm back - at least for now - and we need to get this place in shape.

Good to be back.

Operator

Just my idea :thumbs: but a grader blade for underneth works great. Just after a rain or early spring when the ground is moist, works the best. I also use a 6' I-beam with rail spikes that I welded on to tear up then flip it over and drag smooth.

Randy

Teddy da Bear

Rondo.....your front snow/grader blade will only be able to smooth out

loose material like dirt or gravel. I have put a small boulder on mine (in front,

behind the blade) before and got it to dig in some.

You need to angle your blade back as far as it will go (not left to right, but front

to back) with the pins and varying adjustment holes.

The more upright the blade sits....the more it acts like a dozer blade. You can

angle it forward and it will smooth better and not dig in.

Play around with it and you will come to understand what it can do.

Otherwise you will be limited until you get your rear hitch in action.

Keep us posted on your progress....and add a few pictures if you can..

can whlvr

You can also look around for an old spike harrow,put some cement blocks on it and pull it around untill the driveway is chewed up.Here is a pic of a homemade spike drag,just some rebar and cement. :thumbs:006.jpg

perry

i pull a old 5ft farm disc behind my garden tractors up and down the driveway. works good to bring gravel back and loosen the drive up. then i run the center grader blade and smooth it out.

jerrell

:thumbs: Mike i just finished about 600 ft of drive way using the horse and front blade made ditches and leveled the road then spread donnafil over it, i have a drag made out of angle iron and railroad spikes, used it to tear up the ground , loosen the dirt up then shape it to let the water run off it, then spread the gravel, worked wonderful, people actually drove up and watched as the little horse was pulling a 5 ft , 4 bar drag being pulled by the 175, :whistle:

Gerry w

Hey Jerrell, do you have pics of that spike drag you made? Sounds like just the ticket for my ledge pack drive way! How do you hitch it up? And would it help or catch the tar left over in this gentleman's drive? In other words do you use front weights?

Thanks, Gerry :thumbs:

92Pony

You can also look around for an old spike harrow,put some cement blocks on it and pull it around untill the driveway is chewed up.Here is a pic of a homemade spike drag,just some rebar and cement. :omg:006.jpg

I LOVE this idea! Can you give some details on how you created that? I mean I know it looks straight-forward enough, but any thing that you would different to improve? How much concrete is that? Need more? Less? Just right?

Thanks,

Wade

can whlvr

In reply to how i made this drag,itook 1 inch rebar pieces 15 or so,a 3eigths piece that i tac welded to the perimiter and to make the draw loop also,then formed a triangle around the rebar grid poured about 1 large wheelbarrow load of high strength airated concrete in the form,you can get the cement at home depot.If you dont have a welder just use wire to tie the spikes together to smaller pieces of rebar.Let it cure atleast one week in warm weather and you can put a damp old blanket on it while it cures so it wont crack.

WheelHorse_of_course

Adding a slot hitch to your horse is not at all complicated. You see them on ebay all the time.

Once you have the sleeve hitch you will need to make a lift cable. Again, not too big a project.

Finally, pick up a slot to sleeve adaptor (they come up on ebay, but not as often as the slot hitch) and you are ready to pull anything that non-red tractor does.

Good luck

:drool: :omg: