Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Dang..screwed up

Sparky

So I'm gettin the C-85 ready for my son to "cruise" around the show next week which includes a grease job and a wash. I needed to swap out the head gasket which went smooth as usual. I fired it up and drove her outa the shed and with the clutch pedal out the idler pulley was squealing. Push in the pedal and the squealing was gone. So off to the Wheel Horse dealer 8 miles away to get a new one, and 8 miles back home to install it and as I crawled under it I see that the belt has jumped over the belt guard under the tractor. I moved it back in place and bent the guard back some and did a test. Sure enuff...no noise :D . So I have hopefully learned a lesson not to assume and run off to a dealer to buy something I dont need. :P

Mike.....Pulley========$13.35

Gas in my truck==$3.25

Time wasted====30 minutes

Lesson learned==Priceless

nylyon

But the big question is, did you replace the pulley out of spite anyway, or put it in your "I'm sure I'm gonna need this at some point, and I sure ain't returning it" pile, only to be forgotten and the next time you go out and buy the same pulley again? Seems I may have done this myself a once, or twice. Alright a lot!

Sparky

Well I never even got the belt guard off to start the job and the pulley on it now is silent so no, I didnt swap it out. I will keep the pulley since it will work on any of my 6 "C" Series tractors or the 312-8. I will be able to keep track of it because in the shed I have yellow bins that I keep parts in that go together. I have one with ignition switches, light switches, and regulators. I have another one with PTO parts etc...etc.

Mike....

CHARGER9AUTO

So I'm gettin the C-85 ready for my son to "cruise" around the show next week which includes a grease job and a wash. I needed to swap out the head gasket which went smooth as usual. I fired it up and drove her outa the shed and with the clutch pedal out the idler pulley was squealing. Push in the pedal and the squealing was gone. So off to the Wheel Horse dealer 8 miles away to get a new one, and 8 miles back home to install it and as I crawled under it I see that the belt has jumped over the belt guard under the tractor. I moved it back in place and bent the guard back some and did a test. Sure enuff...no noise :D . So I have hopefully learned a lesson not to assume and run off to a dealer to buy something I dont need. :P

Mike.....Pulley========$13.35

Gas in my truck==$3.25

Time wasted====30 minutes

Lesson learned==Priceless

Mike, Did you pay your Wheel Horse dealer with Master Card or by Cash for the C-85's pulley . Ben....

Sparky

Hehe :D ......Good ol' cash.

Mike........

CHARGER9AUTO

Hehe :D ......Good ol' cash.

Mike........

Mike, I hate to pry and ask you stupid questions when I already know the answer . Ben... :P