Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Help me TT!! or any other qualified Horse man

Brian1045

Ok,

My Kohler k241 spec # 46219a keeps breaking kohler fuel pumps. I went through 2 new ones already. :thumbs: The original (obsolete) pump is a-235366.

The part number for the pump I am using to replace the factory pump is 47 559 11-s.

Is this the right pump??

There is another number 47 559 110-s but I'm not getting the results that I am from the other number.

Please help. :whistle:

Brian

kj4kicks

Hi Brian, Sounds silly, but are you SURE you're not installing it upside-down? It will physically fit that way, and it will break the pump.

Brian1045

Well, If it was on upside down wouldn't it pump the wrong way? :thumbs:

It will run for about an hour then breaks the internal plate on the end of the main pump arm under the bladder.

Now you got me wondering Eldon...lol.

Duff
Well, If it was on upside down wouldn't

Brian1045

100_1183.jpg

Here is a pic of the result. That is the way I installed it on the tractor.

I guess the question here is does the hollow part of the arm go up or down??

I assumed the inlet and outlets valves were suppose to be on the "up" side like the factory one was.

The pic below is the factory set up before I tore it down.

IMG_2548.jpg

Brian1045

I just realized I couldn't have had it upside down.

The arm installs facing up at at angle. Upside down would be putting the arm facing down.

I'm so frustrated. :whistle::thumbs:

:whistle:

I just ordered this one... which should be identical to the one I took off originally

fuelpump.jpg

oldandred

Brian

thats the correct pump number its used on a number of engines above the 10 hp and up

could it be two bad pumps ??

WH854

Service Manual Note:Make sure that the fuel pump lever is positioned above

the camshaft.Damage to the fuel pump and severe damage to the engine

could result if the lever is positioned below the camshaft(Kohler Service

Manual) Hope this helps.

Chas

Brian1045

You can tell that the pump is traveling a little to far, eventually breaking off the tab internally after only a few minutes (an hour or so) of operation.

Thanks for all the info thus far.

Brian1045

I spoke to Brian miller and here is what he had to say.

Hi Brian. New fuel pumps nowadays aren't made that good due to recycled material. Maybe that's why yours keeps breaking. The best thing for you to do is install an automotive electric fuel pump. I copied & pasted the following from my Information about the Kohler Carburetor, Various Fuels and Fuel Systems http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/carbfuel.htm web site:

An electric fuel pump that requires no fuel regulator and works great on virtually any garden tractor engine or up to a 4 cylinder automotive engine with a carburetor is the Facet-Purolator Automotive Electronic Fuel Pump. Facet's part number is FEP 42SV, and Purolator's part numbers are PRO 42S (1.5 - 4 p.s.i.) or PRO 42SV (2 - 3.5 p.s.i.). There's also a Mr. Gasket 42S low pressure universal electric fuel pump, and another electric fuel pump is available at NAPA auto parts stores. It's part # 6101051 (which is actually a FACET # 610-1051 electric pump), and is called a POSI-FLO fuel pump. Specifications are: 12 Volts; 1.5-4 PSI; 25 gal./hr.; compatible with all fuel additives; eliminates vapor lock; two wire design and self-priming. When searching the NAPA auto parts web site, use part # BK 6101051. Low pressure electric fuel pumps are also available on eBay.

The Facet-Purolator pumps are compact, vibration-proof (has solid state dependability), self-priming, easy to install and connect the wiring. They work with either gas, E-85 or methanol fuels, won't flood the carburetor, draw very little amperage from the battery, and they cost less than most OEM electric fuel pumps. They're available at most auto parts stores and on eBay. They're perfect for garden tractors having either a single- or two-cylinder engine!

Brian, I forgot to tell you, that when wiring up an electric fuel pump on the tractor with battery ignition, the pump should have two wires. Connect one wire (usually black in color) to the chassis of the tractor (ground), and the other wire (usually red in color) to the ignition system. The wire going to the coil from the ignition switch is a good one to connect to. On a tractor with magneto ignition, use a separate OFF/ON toggle switch for the fuel pump.

Sincerely,

Brian Miller

Brian1045

I ordered the actual fuel pump that came on the tractor, Part # A-235366.

If this ones fails then something is obviously wrong somewhere. I'm hesitant on the electric pumps because of their size and are really hard to hide.

e681v8.jpg

clintonnut

That looks better. It looks as if the metal pump has a sharper angle in the primer lever. That would definitely make a difference. It could be the lever was getting pushed too far snapping the primer. That could be fixed by putting some more gaskets between the pump and the block. Those plastic pumps are rebuildable but the rebuild kit costs as much as the pump :thumbs: . So keep the pumps for parts. They are starting to get scarce.

Good Luck

Charlie

Brian1045

That looks better. It looks as if the metal pump has a sharper angle in the primer lever. That would definitely make a difference. It could be the lever was getting pushed too far snapping the primer. That could be fixed by putting some more gaskets between the pump and the block.

Exactly what I was thinking...Thanks Charlie :thumbs:

glenn27

Exactly what I was thinking...Thanks Charlie :whistle:

Brian- just wondering where you managed to find an OEM metal bodied pump? :thumbs:

PM me if you want...

glenn

Brian1045

http://ccspecialties.org/fuel_tuneup_maint.html

(Scroll down to about the 19th item)

Those pumps are getting pretty rare..these guys were the cheapest I found.

The original number in my manual is A-235366 or A-235366-S.

Brian1045

I put on the original style fuel pump on yesterday.

And yes it does have a slightly steeper bend to it. I still think the pump moves to far and to hard coming off the cam lobe. But for now all is well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :omg:

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

Suburban 550

Hope this fuel pump holds out for you. :omg: