Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

'68 Electro 12 Electronic Ignition

Kelly

Mine has batt. ign. So I quess I'm in the market for parts to put mine back to original. Thanks Terry I have to meet you some day just to see how big your head is! With all the info you have packed in their you must have a hard time finding hats to fit :D just picking, glad you are here to help answer all the stuff we can come up with.

Ok guys I'm looking for those parts, but can't aford the price's Terry said.

Kelly in MI.

nylyon

Kelly, check the spec number on your engine to see if it is the proper spec.

TT

There is one thing wrong with my electrical on my Bronco though. It'll crank every time, just won't shut off with the key. I haven't looked yet to see why. Hopefully a simple fix.

Kevin

It's been a little while since I messed with one, Kevin, but there should be a grounding (shorting) wire from one terminal on the coil to the ignition switch. (the other wire goes under the blower housing to the trigger.)

The ignition switch has a terminal marked "M". (for magneto) Use a mulitmeter and see if there's continuity between the "M" terminal and the switch housing with the key in the off position. If there's not, then the switch is bad. If the switch tests good, then there's probably a break somewhere in the wire.

Kelly

Ok guys, I had to know so out to the barn I went, it's about 5 deg. and about 200' to the barn and that tractor has to be in the back. But anyway the spec no. is 47147B the same as Karl's So mine has been changed over correct? where are you coming up with the info that tells you what the ign. should be? I have a 69 Electro 12 and it has a spec no. of 17147C and it also has batt. ign. if I could source this info I wouldn't bug all of you. Unless this is ok and kinda fun for you. Thanks for the info. Kelly

TT

Here's the schematic for the 1968 Electro 12:

electrodiagram.jpg

Let me do a little more digging here..... this is getting interesting. :D :P

nylyon

How did you know I was going to ask for the wiring diagram?

TT

I've done this before, Karl. :(

(and I know you can't read it on any of the websites :( )

Be patient, gang :P -- I'm currently researching ignition switches. :D

I'll get to the bottom of this somehow! :(

WheelHorse_of_course

My 69 charger has the breakerless battery ignition (with the "coil" shown above). This is also what is shown on the schematic.

The key switch has a short to ground to kill the engine when switched "off" as described above.

Also note that there is no solenoid, the feed to the starter is actually switched by the ignition switch itself. :D

Rolf

TT

OK... I'm probably gonna get proven wrong by a bunch of people on this, but this is what I have. (Aside from pictures from the parts manuals -- which have already been proven to NOT be consistent)

I'm not going to list all of the details, but if you look up the applications of these P/N's at Sohar's, you'll see where I went.

*P/N 4988 is a 3 terminal switch and was used on the '64 to '67 S/G tractors with battery ignition.

*P/N 7572, 8362, and 101482 are all grounding switches and were used on many tractors in the late 60's to +/- 1972, includiing the Chargers, Electros, Raiders, etc. with Tecumseh and Kohler engines. (magneto and breakerless ignition)

*P/N 101917 is the 4-postion "off/acc/run/start" ignition switch like the 1973 garden tractors used (battery ignition - 5 terminals)

*P/N 103990 is the battery ignition 5 prong switch used on most tractors from 1974 to the 1990's.

*P/N 103991 is the 6 terminal magneto (grounding) switch like the Briggs-powered and Kohler Magnum tractors of the 70'/80's/90's use. (Workhorse LT/GT, 200, 300, 400 series, A & B verticals, etc.)

I looked in every conceivable place on here and in my manuals for a clear answer and I actually can't come up with one. I guess it's pretty much inconclusive and I didn't explain much. Although I can't find any '68 / '69 tractors listed with a battery ignition style switch. :scratchead::scratchead::scratchead: (I'm not done though)

nylyon

Well, here's what we know.

1. The Electro has a grounding ignition switch

2. Wiring diagram shows no coil, supports magneto ignition

3. My 68 has magneto ignition with the correct spec number for the model

It is unlikely, but still possible I suppose, that someone replace the battery ignition with a magneto type. It would be more expensive to do it this way, and every other component points to magneto type. So I'm thinking that the 68 Electro is supposed to have magneto ignition.

TT

And the flywheel and stator/magneto that are in the above picture was removed from a 1968 Raider 12 that was (to the best of my knowledge) built that way.

I also have two 1970 carcasses here (Charger 12 and Electro 12) that both had 3 terminal grounding-type ignition switches. I found that out when I was going to use one of them for the tricycle and couldn't because it now has battery ignition. :D

T-Mo

Dang, slow or fast again... :D

Karl,

That's the second time today (that I know of). When did you get dial-up? :P

gwest_ca

Early 1968 Raider 12 (1-6231) and Charger 12 (1-7231) used starter/gen and battery ignition. Later 1968 production of the 1-6231 and 1-7231 used Bendix type starters and mag ignition. This is from PSB #103.

PSB #102 includes a 1968 switch change to isolate the regulator for the 10 amp alternator systems with the ignition off.

You can take a peek at these in the Files of

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals8/

Some later 1978-79? B&S powered tractors used a battery ignition switch plus a relay to to ground out the mag ignition.

Garry

T-Mo

Garry,

Welcome to the Red Square. I'm glad you have joined in. I've seen your posts over on WheelHorse.org. Again, welcome to the site. :D

WheelHorse_of_course

All of this seems to confirm what I have been told.That 1968 was a transition year for both Kohler and WH.

1969 appears to be the fvirst year with Bendix starters and Breakerless ingnition systems.

1967 appears to be all starter generators and either magneto or points ignitions.

TT

I'm glad someone else decided to take over this mess......

My head was starting to hurt. :D:P :(