71_Bronco

Best Head Gasket For Kohler?

71_Bronco

Just curious what the best head gaskets are out there for a Kohler 321.

Is the stock, Kohler gasket the best? Or is there a better after-market brand out there?

Also, what is the best place to buy from? Any vendors on here sell them? Rather than supporting some big-box company?

Thanks!

953 nut

I have had good results using the aftermarket head gaskets found on :techie-ebay:. The new genuine Kohler gaskets are being made in China anyway.

• Sad 1

ebinmaine

I've only bought a couple.

I've heard multiple times over the years that you should try to get a gasket that has the metal compression ring around the combustion chamber. Not all cylinder head gaskets on the aftermarket have that.

I believe our vendor

@A-Z Tractor

Should be able to help you out there.

WH nut

I get my parts from the small engine warehouse

The Tuul Crib

You might check out Isavetractors.com I got one for my 312-8 , it fit great with no problems.

71_Bronco
10 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

You might check out Isavetractors.com I got one for my 312-8 , it fit great with no problems.

I came across his site / youtube videos the other day when looking up stuff for my K321S. His videos are very good and informative. Was honestly thinking about buying from him, but thought i'd check here first.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, 71_Bronco said:

I came across his site / youtube videos the other day when looking up stuff for my K321S. His videos are very good and informative. Was honestly thinking about buying from him, but thought i'd check here first.

He's right here in Maine only about a half hour south of me. I've never bought anything from him because I find things for a better price and I have kind of a passion for doing that but his service is top-notch and so are his parts and I've never heard a bad thing about him.

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, 71_Bronco said:

He is very professional and it was quick and easy service!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

You're right there Eric. I have priced

some of his things and they are a little pricey.

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

You're right there Eric. I have priced

some of his things and they are a little pricey.

He's a good dude though. I'm just Chee... Ummm... Frugal.

IMHO... Part of the reason his prices are a little higher than some is because I think he's trying very hard not to sell anything that's going to be returned to him.

He would rather sell a good part then a cheap one any day of the week from what I understand.

• Like 1

71_Bronco
On 9/25/2018 at 5:41 PM, ebinmaine said:

I've only bought a couple.

I've heard multiple times over the years that you should try to get a gasket that has the metal compression ring around the combustion chamber. Not all cylinder head gaskets on the aftermarket have that.

I believe our vendor

@A-Z Tractor

Should be able to help you out there.

This is the picture of the gasket from ISaveTractors' site. Does this one have the "compression ring" you're talking about?

SAM_6768__49641.1447075425.JPG?c=2?imbyp

WVHillbilly520H

Yes...here's the O.E. version

Screenshot_20180927-075526.png

elcamino/wheelhorse

I purchased a head gasket for my c-120 and two carbs for 2 other tractors from Isavetractors and have not had any problems with my purchases. What I like is when I call , I get a real person on the phone.

• Excellent 2

71_Bronco

Just a follow up to this thread, I ended up placing an order with I save tractors. I emailed with Norman a few times with questions, and ended up buying the full gasket set, air cleaner filter, carb rebuild kit, and the breather filter.

• Like 3

WildmanC120

I bought an OEM gasket for my K301 this spring and it has been great.  There are probably 2 things to make sure you are successful with any gasket. 

1. Make sure your head is FLAT. I took black magic marker and colored the gasket surface of the head.  I then used large sheets of emery paper/water and a flat surface to essentially sand the head flat until all the black marker was gone. I then coated the gasket in some spray sealer which isn't necessary but makes me feel better.
  2. Snug the head bolts and torque in the proper pattern.  Run the engine to get a little heat in it and re torque.  Do this 2 or 3 times. I also choose to use a little never seize on the threads to ensure no issues ever taking head off again and a proper torque. 
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, WildmanC120 said:

Run the engine to get a little heat in it and re torque.

That is the one best tip that so many people overlook and blame the failure on the gasket.