Justice77

Last Winter's Project

OHRob72

Looks really nice Justice! I miss my old 2 seat convertible. It must be a lot of fun to drive. :auto-layrubber:

ebinmaine

That's quite a pretty machine.

WHNJ701

Neat ride, my old man always messed around with the British cars, he has tr4a, fun car to drive around

Justice77

Thanks all. It's a blast to drive. Handles like a road legal go-cart.

Edit: I just noticed spelling error in title. It's ok though as some wine was had during this restoration.

Edited by Justice77
words
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

What powers this go kart?  That’s a sweet transformation you did there!

Justice77
41 minutes ago, pullstart said:

What powers this go kart?  That’s a sweet transformation you did there!

A 1.8L twin cam w/ 2 bbl Webber. Maybe 90hp but car is only around 2000 lbs. so it pulls pretty hard for what it is. The sound is just magical. Replaced cast manifold and 1.75" exhaust w/ ss header and 2.25" ss pipe and straight through muffler. It can be relatively quiet until secondary opens then gets pretty loud and angry sounding, with that distinctive burble when decelerating.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
28 minutes ago, Justice77 said:

A 1.8L twin cam w/ 2 bbl Webber. Maybe 90hp but car is only around 2000 lbs. so it pulls pretty hard for what it is. The sound is just magical. Replaced cast manifold and 1.75" exhaust w/ ss header and 2.25" ss pipe and straight through muffler. It can be relatively quiet until secondary opens then gets pretty loud and angry sounding, with that distinctive burble when decelerating.

I totally understand power to weight ratios, sounds fun!

my dune buggy has a 2000 Subaru EJ25 engine rated at 165 hp and the car weighed 1450# last time I had it on the scales.  The difference though, is I’m pushing 32” or taller tires, and often times I’m in the sand.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Justice77 said:

I do like those older small fours and especially the straight six is when they have the right manifolds and exhaust on them.

• Like 1

Sparky
4 hours ago, Justice77 said:

Thanks all. It's a blast to drive. Handles like a road legal go-cart.

Edit: I just noticed spelling error in title. It's ok though as some wine was had during this restoration.

Spelling error corrected.

Cool car and I love the color scheme!

CasualObserver

Very nice!! That looks like a lot of fun just waiting to happen!

I have a long term dream of finding an Opel GT or Kadett Rallye like my dad had when I was little to fix up someday.

Chris G

Great job on the transformation, it looks really nice!

Justice77
18 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

Very nice!! That looks like a lot of fun just waiting to happen!

I have a long term dream of finding an Opel GT or Kadett Rallye like my dad had when I was little to fix up someday.

Keep looking and you'll find one. I searched for this for 4 - 5 years. Ended up finding it in R.I. but car spent most of it's life in TX. 48K miles, very little rust and none where it matters.

• Like 1

Justice77
18 hours ago, Sparky said:

Spelling error corrected.

Cool car and I love the color scheme!

Thanks. Color is Rain Forest Green Pearl. I thought the previous white masked all of the cool body / style lines.

Justice77
19 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I do like those older small fours and especially the straight six is when they have the right manifolds and exhaust on them.

AKA Lampredi Twin Cam. I have heard that these have been modified and used in various motorsports for many years.

Sarge

Hunt around for a good used Weber 38DGAS - then be prepared to rebuild the transmission. Last one I did on a Fiat was pure evil to drive, lol.

Sarge