ebinmaine

How about a little help with this log splitter valve??

ebinmaine

As seen below there are several photos of the directional control valve on this log splitter.

This machine was hand-built by a logger so I don't have any brand information.

I've also included one picture of the pump that drives the fluid.

Here's the issue.

When you push the lever in the forward direction to split the log, it works perfectly fine. Hold lever, movement. Release lever, stop.

When you push the lever in the direction to retract the piston and splitter, it is supposed to stay in that position until the locking collar kicks the lever back, there by stopping it.

It does not stay in the locked position while retreating so you have to hold it in place until it's all the way back.

Needless to say that is very time-consuming and an unnecessary step.

Is there something on this valve that I can adjust or replace so that I can get that feature back?

IMG_20180922_130003842_HDR.jpg.b9492fc5bbd892329939955e12a1ff8a.jpg

IMG_20180922_130014063_HDR.jpg.3e88d098cbdf3db773a15f10847f8809.jpg

IMG_20180922_125943678_HDR.jpg.89de8f10785ad10e42c0b9ebf12c7149.jpg

IMG_20180922_125956628_HDR.jpg.a9b50c74702567e9d91111b0ee8277f4.jpg

IMG_20180922_125949367_HDR.jpg.a76d94fb0a251e34d5eb76e59d21188b.jpg

And just for the info.... Here's the pump it uses.

IMG_20180922_130251232.jpg.2fe6c76790f0917e42dd446ca9131592.jpg

KC9KAS

The detent ball/mechanism inside the control valve is wore out and isn't catching on the spool when put into the retract position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

The detent ball/mechanism inside the control valve is wore out and isn't catching on the spool when put into the retract position.

is this going to be so simple as to remove that ball and bring it to a machine shop or hardware store and get a properly sized one in there?

WVHillbilly520H
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

is this going to be so simple as to remove that ball and bring it to a machine shop or hardware store and get a properly sized one in there?

Eric you need to try out surplus center...got a lot of my hydraulic parts from them when I converted the JD blade over to the Kioti...https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Energy/1-Spool-Energy-Log-Splitter-Valve-w-Pressure-Release-Detent-9-12302.axd

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Might be ,might not be.The ball may try to engage a ramp that is worn out.You could replace the ball but my guess is the detent area of the valve is shot.Replacement splitter valves are not that expensive.I have one that has tens of thousands of cycles on it and sometimes you have to coax it to stay in retract mode.

• Like 3

JAinVA

Jeff has a good source and you could try Northern Tools as well.When I built my splitter I used the same Northern components as I found on a rental unit.Hundreds of cords later it all still works.I used it today and it breaks tire beads better than anything else I have seen.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

If you can find the ball in the valve there is a 50/50 chance the spring behind it has broken.

Garry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

If you can find the ball in the valve there is a 50/50 chance the spring behind it has broken.

Garry

That would explain the sudden change.

Hopefully that's it.

Thanks.

wh500special

I’ve never seen an arrangement like that where the hydraulic cylinder actually pushes on the control valve to stop the motion.   Bizarre.  

Usually the detent function is triggered by the pressure in the system rising when the cylinder maxes out on the return stroke.  And the detent relief pressure is typically adjustable.  

The builder of that unit probably went out of his way to make a valve that he already had work the way he wanted it to.  

Clever.   But bizarre. 

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

I thought is was very clever also but would do it different. That set screw in the collar would damage the chrome rod and likely render the seal useless.  Not a problem unless the collar gets relocated. There are two-part collars that clamp around the rod with screws in the two halves only. Believe they call them stroke limiters.

Garry

• Like 2

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, wh500special said:

builder of that unit probably went out of his way to make a valve that he already had work the way he wanted it to.  

I believe that to be true. The guy had no notion of the age of the machine but he figured it was at least 20 years old. The engine that is on there is a 6.5 horsepower Briggs industrial commercial that he put on. I think it's maybe around a 2012. He had been using it for a few seasons by that point already.

And it was old when he got it.

The guy was using it to split the butt ends of the logs that he got for free from his boss. It's quite powerful.

6 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

I thought is was very clever also but would do it different. That set screw in the collar would damage the chrome rod and likely render the seal useless.  Not a problem unless the collar gets relocated. There are two-part collars that clamp around the rod with screws in the two halves only. Believe they call them stroke limiters.

Garry

We had noticed that here as well. In our case it turns out not to matter because we never move the collar back any further than what it is. Definitely would be an issue for some other owners though.

gwest_ca

A search for stroke limiter shows some of the splitters available now are using that very idea.

Garry

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

A search for stroke limiter shows some of the splitters available now are using that very idea.

Garry

going to be a few days before I get time to mess around with this thing very much but I'll check that out. I have the carburetor of this engine soaking and waiting to be cleaned out and then I'll be able to address the bad hoses and hopefully repair this valve, possibly replace it.

We are already two winters ahead on firewood so this log splitter is not exactly a priority but I do need to get it done and setting to storage.

• Like 1

Kenneth R Cluley

I agree with Garry, you can check the spring first and hopefully find replacement. Usually that is all that is wrong, ball and seat are fine. Even seen the spring rusty /corroded in the oil on older systems. Bought a lot of parts from Surplus center over the years. I tend to look there prior to planning project to see what's available cheap and then modify my plans to fit those items. Saved a lot of time and money that way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 9/23/2018 at 9:28 AM, wh500special said:

Usually the detent function is triggered by the pressure in the system rising when the cylinder maxes out on the return stroke.  And the detent relief pressure is typically adjustable

On 9/23/2018 at 10:07 AM, Kenneth R Cluley said:

seen the spring rusty /corroded in the oil

@WVHillbilly520H

@gwest_ca

Well guys I finally got around to fixing the splitter today.

2 new hoses. Clean/rebuild carb. Clean/regap plug. Change engine oil. Change hydraulic oil. Changed gas tank...(cracked).

IMG_20181027_135750442.jpg.cb27df5cbe0550afffe350d93ac954e5.jpg

IMG_20181027_155340680.jpg.88ff4559203b6df26e2a92fb8e2357fa.jpg

I got thinking about the above quotes in combination and once I had the machine running I figured to start messing with the valve.

As part of the draining process I was moving the lever back and forth and noticed it started to stick in place one way like it's supposed to.

Notice on the end of the valve there's a screw.

IMG_20181027_155347547.jpg.81e57255b1e75c8a6acfcb16c981a5be.jpg

I turned it in 1/4 turn and the valve was/is working correctly!!!

So we'll run her a bit and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2