HerbS

518-H runs then stalls

HerbS

My 518-H runs and mows for about 15 minutes then stalls.  It'll rest for 10, then run for 15 and stall.  The oil level is right, air cleaner is clear and it has new spark plugs.  Sounds like overheating, but it isn't really very hot to the touch.  Onan twin.  I brought it to the CT Onan dealer and he couldn't fix it, but frankly, they work on generators all day and I don't think they wanted to bother.  Any ideas?  

953 nut

If the vent on your fuel cap is plugged the fuel being removed from the tank will create a slight vacuum the fuel pump can't overcome. Try running it with the cap backed off a little.

HerbS

Thanks.  I tried running without the cap and it still stalled.  

• Sad 1

The Gman

Is that model ignition coil or solid state.

lynnmor

My guess is that the ignition trigger behind the flywheel is breaking down from heat.  If you could quickly check the spark, using a spare plug connected to a spark plug wire and grounded on the engine, might help you diagnose the problem.  The Onan manual can be found on this website and it will help you check the coil.

N3PUY

Stuff in the fuel tank getting sucked into the outlet screen and plugging it.  ?????? 😧 

Tankman

Had a similar problem with my 20 hp Onan.

Cleaned the carb, new fuel filter, air filter along with new foam pre-cleaner, oil change w/ oil filter, adding Seafoam to the fuel. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Now when I park the '90 520-8, done for the day, I vac the screen and ( and ) spray some carb cleaner directly into the carb.

Seems ( :unsure: ) to be running better every day. Like new.

For awhile I was disgusted and giving up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• lsc1257
      By lsc1257
      I have a 1996 520H Wheel Horse for sale.  The tractor has just over 800 hours on it.  It comes with a 48 inch deck.  The deck is a 1995 and has over 1,500 hours on it, as it came brand new with my 312-8 that I sold several years ago.  This 520-H has the swept front axle so it can handle a 60 inch deck.  I just replaced the battery and the deck belt this summer.  The engine is a 20HP Onan and it starts right up but requires the full choke.  The transmission is an Eaton 1100-062, hydrostatic.  The deck is in rough shape but the spindles appear to be in good working order.  The right rear tire has some cracking.  The original operator's manual for the 520H is included, as is the original operating and maintenance instructions for the deck, plus the installation instructions for the deck.  Also included is a new PTO belt and several miscellaneous deck wheels and rollers.  Additional pictures available upon request.  Asking $500.

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      Onan model BF-MS2425A Engine for parts. This engine pulled from NOS Bolens QT16 tractor that sat for 40+ years. Engine has less than 25 hours on it. Engine currently stuck. Local pick up in  Easton  MA.  $49  or offer.

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      Wheel Horse
      Service Tool Kit
      Onan Industrial Engines
      ON-420-0556

Kit is missing oil filter tool, otherwise complete. Tools in excellent condition. Small crack in plastic case, bottom, middle. 

$129 plus shipping cost.

Message me if you are interested in purchasing. Thank you. Joe

• carlejoyce
      By carlejoyce
      Just installed new starter, new carb, replaced valve guides. lapped ad adjusted the valves.  Engine is running like a top but when load is applied I experience a power loss to the point the engine will stall.  Any ideas to solve problem???
    • SPINJIM
      By SPINJIM
      1992, Wheel Horse 520-H.   Onan overhauled: New rings, cylinders honed, valves lapped, new carb., new seals and filters, new fuel lines and primer bulb for easy starts.  Seat is like new.  Front tires are new.  All tires hold air.  Some repainting, but didn't need much; was stored indoors.  New decals.  Other new parts.
      Has swept front axle and Variable Ratio Steering.  Belt cover ventilated to cool back cylinder.  Rear wheel weights are 55 lbs. each.