dells68

Keep fighting or sell?

dells68

Well, I put my fourth electric fuel pump on my 312-& and it lasted long enough to mow the yard one time.  Got on it this evening and it ran for 5 minutes before the fuel pump quit.  I'm so aggravated that I'm considering selling it!  When it runs, it runs great and has very low hours.  I just can't figure out what is killing the pumps.  Could it be putting out too much voltage and frying the pumps?  It's grounded good and the hot is hooked to one of the white wires coming from the fuse block.  I can understand getting one or two bad pumps, but four in a row, five if you count the one that died before I bought it.  I thought about getting a Facet pump, but don't want to put $65-$99 in a pump just to kill it.  HELP!!!!

• Sad 1

squonk

What kind of pump are you buying? Have you checked the actual voltage to the pump? Are you running the pump dry? Fuel actually lubes the pump internals.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Also where did you mount the pump.  They do not suck well they do better pushing so mounting low near the tank is best.

• Like 2

dells68

Hey Mike, @squonk.  They are the ones you find on ebay.  @953 nut Recommended these and has never had an issue with them, so I think my tractor has to be doing something to them.  I've never ran them dry.  I haven't checked the voltage. And now that I can't run it, I  may not get the chance.  I could possibly rig a suburban tank I have to get it to run by gravity feed and check the voltage.  I'm  just getting frustrated!

• Like 2

pfrederi

You want the mechanical [pump from my C-141??  see my posting about electric pumps....

• Like 2

dells68
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Also where did you mount the pump.  They do not suck well they do better pushing so mounting low near the tank is best.

Paul it's mounted on the frame just behind the engine, so gravity flows the fuel down to it and it just has to push it up to the carb.

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Paul it's mounted on the frame just behind the engine, so gravity flows the fuel down to it and it just has to push it up to the carb.

Your post indicated a 312-(&)  isn't the tank under the seat???

dells68

The tank is under the seat, but it is high enough above the pump to flow fuel by gravity.  @oldredrider tried a mechanical pump on it and couldn't get it to run with the mechanical pump so we went with an electric pump.  

pfrederi

The fuel line goes up hill (at least on mine)  from the tank outlet through the hood stand then down to the frame and up to the carb.  Now what is really interesting is all my C-175s C-141 and 418 cranked forever with mechanical pumps...my 310-8 fires up almost instantly on its mechanical pump...go figure..

I would however try mounting the pump back on the fuel tank supports under the seat before i gave up.  Also the posi flos are only about $35

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

oldredrider

The cam seemed worn in the engine. It's not a high hour engine, maybe 300 hrs at most. Wouldn't give enough throw on a brand new pump to make it work. Seems to be a common problem with the 12 and 14 Magnum engines as lots of owners have gone to electric pumps on these models. 

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 1

oldredrider

I have to admit I haven't had good luck with the cheap pumps. Gone thru a few and they just stop.

No pumping noise at all. Voltage going to them has been 12-13 VDC. Got one on a C-141 that pumps but also leaks.

• Like 1

dells68

@oldredrider, if we lived closer, I'd be hanging out at your house for a little help and Wheel Horse fellowship!  Love the tractor, just really frustrated with these pumps!

• Like 2

dells68
2 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

I have to admit I haven't had good luck with the cheap pumps. Gone thru a few and they just stop.

No pumping noise at all. Voltage going to them has been 12-13 VDC. Got one on a C-141 that pumps but also leaks.

That's exactly what these have done, just quit.  This last one makes a faint clicking, but pumps no fuel.

Machineguy

I’ve had two and found heat and a mounting location are key. I’ve mounted this downward from the tank pulling a siphon as electric pumps push far better than pulling. Also you’ll note it on the outside on the hydraulic cooler that pulls air in directly through the main cowling on my CCKB Onan. Once I put this unit there it’s been golden! Keep’em cool and keep them primed on the suction side they’ll last. 

BTW, it’s a different brand tractor! Lol

09305346-7FFF-4C62-AAE3-CC71E8686132.jpeg

• Like 3

Machineguy

@dells68

You could just let me take the tractor home and test it thoroughly. After say 20 years or so when I know it’s worthy of your collection I’ll return it. 

:ychain:

• Haha 5

WVHillbilly520H
40 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

I’ve had two and found heat and a mounting location are key. I’ve mounted this downward from the tank pulling a siphon as electric pumps push far better than pulling. Also you’ll note it on the outside on the hydraulic cooler that pulls air in directly through the main cowling on my CCKB Onan. Once I put this unit there it’s been golden! Keep’em cool and keep them primed on the suction side they’ll last. 

BTW, it’s a different brand tractor! Lol

09305346-7FFF-4C62-AAE3-CC71E8686132.jpeg

Check out that "MR GASKET" hotrod see thru fuel filter, @dells68 that must be secret to fuel pump zen :laughing-rofl:, on a different note, have you tried wiring with a relay instead of just fused to power source? All my added electronics on the 'BU are relay wired, (inner fender above overflow tank happens to be for its electric fuel pump), Jeff.

IMAG3311.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy

The cheap paper filters will kill these pumps on suction! I should’ve mentioned that. Just like having the wrong micron filter on a hydro unit. You’ll lose suction and performance which develops heat and heat destroys everything. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, Machineguy said:

The cheap paper filters will kill these pumps on suction! I should’ve mentioned that. Just like having the wrong micron filter on a hydro unit. You’ll lose suction and performance which develops heat and heat destroys everything. 

A-ha, fuel pump zen :violence-blades:...

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

dells68

I felt the pump when it quit and it was warm to the touch.  Definitely was building up heat for some reason.  I keep wondering if it might be the charging system throwing too much voltage, but then the battery would have already given out wouldn't it?

• Like 1

Machineguy

I’d say it’s a combination of all the above. Check your incoming voltage while running to rule that out. Then locate the pump closely but lower than the tank away from heat. I highly recommend a good automotive filter such as a visible that you can monitor for contamination. Poorly grounded pumps will develop heat too. Don’t give up! I’ll come there myself before I let this beat you buddy!!! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, dells68 said:

I felt the pump when it quit and it was warm to the touch.  Definitely was building up heat for some reason.  I keep wondering if it might be the charging system throwing too much voltage, but then the battery would have already given out wouldn't it?

A 12 volt system is actually more like a dips to 8 and spikes to 16 volts, wondering if your voltage regulator isn't up to the task? :confusion-confused: 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy

That Hillbilly Jeff is right sharp! Mountain folks are often clever and adept to problem solving! 

@WVHillbilly520H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

That Hillbilly Jeff is right sharp! Mountain folks are often clever and adept to problem solving! 

@WVHillbilly520H

Yes we are....

If it'll run tilted, it'll run anywhere.

• Haha 5

Machineguy
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes we are....

If it'll run tilted, it'll run anywhere.

Eric, 

My Northern Hillbilly friend, you’re a welcome friend anytime you ever want to visit us in Appalachia! 

You’re a person of great character and integrity. Exactly the type of people I hoped to connect within this forum! 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1