Keep fighting or sell?

Daron1965
10 hours ago, roadapples said:

Hey, there's hillbillies in Pa. too...

That's why we call it East Virginia:ROTF:

:text-lol:      I totally agree.    

• Haha 1

dells68

Well, I ordered another cheap pump and am going to give it another try.  Im going to put this one just below the tank on the fender pan mount and see if there is any improvement.  I will check the voltage as soon as it starts to see how much is going to it.  I'm  just aggravated with this thing!

• Sad 1

Machineguy
2 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Well, I ordered another cheap pump and am going to give it another try.  Im going to put this one just below the tank on the fender pan mount and see if there is any improvement.  I will check the voltage as soon as it starts to see how much is going to it.  I'm  just aggravated with this thing!

You're gonna get it! Good filter, cool location that promotes priming and it's gonna work! If voltage is correct that's gonna work. I do highly recommend the automotive visible fuel filter kit! 

You got this!!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tankman
5 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

You're gonna get it! Good filter, cool location that promotes priming and it's gonna work! If voltage is correct that's gonna work. I do highly recommend the automotive visible fuel filter kit! 

You got this!!! 

I had similar problem(s) some time ago. Kept glancing at the Horse. Keeping the Stallion just 'cause he was so good.

Then, went to work. Revived the Horse and now I grin every time I look at it. We're buddies!

DO NOT THROW THE TOWEL IN!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Roy_Rogers.jpg.ed0195d3fbaac4f34e65c2cfc5118a7e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

I don’t have experience with electric pumps on tractors, but I recently had the one on my buggy go out.  It’s the second time in a year that I’ve replaced that, it’s from Summit Racing.  Luckily, they keep sending me a replacement, no questions asked!

good luck, we’ve all run out of fuel one time or another!  In an elevator with shorts and boots, riding a tractor, or today, in a field!

here’s Rylee’s mishap today...  after she broke her luggage rack, and I welded it, and she re-broke it, and replaced the battery, then broke the chain... on her tow back home lost a wheel!

3C474325-E3B9-42DC-825F-7304501A7A5E.jpeg

• Sad 5

WVHillbilly520H
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I don’t have experience with electric pumps on tractors, but I recently had the one on my buggy go out.  It’s the second time in a year that I’ve replaced that, it’s from Summit Racing.  Luckily, they keep sending me a replacement, no questions asked!

good luck, we’ve all run out of fuel one time or another!  In an elevator with shorts and boots, riding a tractor, or today, in a field!

here’s Rylee’s mishap today...  after she broke her luggage rack, and I welded it, and she re-broke it, and replaced the battery, then broke the chain... on her tow back home lost a wheel!

That's always how it seemed with the lil ATV I had for my boy back home, fixing it more than he actually rode it...BTW sometimes I can load a truck a bit like you...

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Tuneup

Have you measured the voltage while running? Expecting full throttle, a bad regulator could certainly be a factor. Not good for the battery as well. My 120 shows me 16V regularly but she's not my work Horse.

• Like 2

dells68
4 hours ago, Tuneup said:

Have you measured the voltage while running? Expecting full throttle, a bad regulator could certainly be a factor. Not good for the battery as well. My 120 shows me 16V regularly but she's not my work Horse.

That's  one of the things I'm afraid of.  I've ordered another pump and as soon as I get it to fire up I'm going to use the trusty Ole multimeter to check and see.  I wondered about that on the pump before the last one, but kept telling myself that I probably just had bad luck and got another bad pump, but I don't think there could possibly be this many bad pumps in a row.

Edited by dells68
  • Like 2

Tuneup

Yeah, I'm thinking my regulator on the C125 killed my nice new NAPA coil back during the restore. 17V killed it in less than 15 minutes of run time. Maybe a little of both - cheap manufacture and current abuse. Rev her up and see.

I know it's a band-aid but you could consider a ballast resistor in series with the pump. Would the pump still have the juice to overcome the needle? Don't know but a fun project. Plenty of them on Amazon and cheap but they never give the R value!!!! Designed for coils so may work for the low resistance of a motor. Gee, it's been a while since I applied Ohm's Law :-)

Edited by Tuneup
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

clueless
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

Kevin, do you ever do anything but play :think:?

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
Just now, clueless said:

Oh I should certainly hope not...

It's the ONLY way to live.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, clueless said:

Watchu talkin’ ‘bout Willis?

Hey, one fellow can’t fault another for getting his daughters out in the dirt, instead of behind a tv, can he?  All I know, is we wash so much field off in our driveway, it’s capable of growing crops just as good as the field

• Like 7

clueless

So the original pump wasn't working, then a new mechanical one wouldn't work right, then 4 electrical one stoped working. The first two have nothing to do with your electrical system, and a cam being worn at less than 300hr seams unlikely. I've owned a few 12 and 14 hp magnums most had well over 1000 hr and the pumps worked fine, there is a recent post from a fellow that is the original owner of a 312-8 with a magnum that is little less than 3000hr still working fine with the mechanical pump. Pumps pull and push if they don't have anything to pull are not enough volume to pull they will burn out. My point being have you checked to see if you are getting a good flow from the tank, clogged screen in tank, old fuel line, vacuum in tank can cause low to no flow to the pump. I would definitely put a clear filter on before the pump when you install the next one, if it goes out you can see if there is still fuel in the filter, if not it's not the pump. after 2 mechanical and 4 electrical one, all ether not working, are not working properly, the pump my not be the problem. Oh I think I already said that :roll:.  

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

gwest_ca

If the headlamps only work with the engine running the tractor has a 3 amp rectified but unregulated charging system to charge the battery. They have been known to supply more voltage than is acceptable likely because the battery is fully charged or the battery won't take a charge.

The headlamps are powered by AC current directly from the engine stator so you can't use that for DC accessories.

Be interesting to see what the voltage gets up to. It may take a while for it to climb to dangerous levels.

If you have an analog voltmeter compare it to a digital one without the engine running. Sometimes digital meters will give erroneous readings from emf radiation generated by the engine running. Analog meters don't seem to be bothered.

Garry

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks Gary.  Honestly I've never checked to see if the lights work without it running.  Only needed them a couple of times at night.  Also, I'm going to put new fuel line on it as I replace the pump to check the fuel flow.  It does have a non gauge cap, so it may not be venting?  I've got a new gauge style cap that I may try too.

• Like 4

ACman

Dells’s don’t give up it’s just a machine .... it can’t beat you! I know you would never give up on Emory so don’t let him see you throw in the towel. After reading through this thread I was thinking on the same line as @clueless but do what @Machineguy @Tuneup @gwest_ca have suggested. 

I didn’t even know “give up” was in your vocabulary. Sometimes you have to walk away for awhile when frustration gets the best of you but you always dive right back in head first when the time is right.  Good luck buddy :handgestures-thumbupright: ! 

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks @ACman!  I know you're right, but it just gets frustrating when you think you've got something fixed only to get to use it one time!  It's a super nice machine, almost new.  I enjoy mowing with it when it's running, just frustrating sometimes you know.  You're right about Emory.  The kid never gives up and doesn't know the word can't.  We can all learn some of the best lessons from our kids if we'll just take the time to look and listen!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

clueless
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Thanks Gary.  Honestly I've never checked to see if the lights work without it running.  Only needed them a couple of times at night.  Also, I'm going to put new fuel line on it as I replace the pump to check the fuel flow.  It does have a non gauge cap, so it may not be venting?  I've got a new gauge style cap that I may try too.

If your tank is not venting an electric pump won't last long.

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, dells68 said:

Thanks @ACman!  I know you're right, but it just gets frustrating when you think you've got something fixed only to get to use it one time! 

Dells I know the feeling I have replaced xyz on dad's Cub Cadet ever since finding the rodent condo that burnt up the coil, then the carb started leaking then the new coil died then the new carb started leaking then finally the mechanical fuel pump quit working, I have replaced coil and carb twice, and installed one of these cheapo electric ⛽ pumps but after a little while mowing it'll shut off and not restart till its cooled down(like the ignition module on an Onan) , what I'm getting at is thus is the only mower dad can get on an off of at his current state so I'll keep plugging along till I get it fixed as you should too, Jeff.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Tuneup

Man, repair something and then have it break again - now you're wondering if it's cause is elsewhere. We've all been there. I usually talk to the machine while the wife laughs. I tell it to stop fighting because I'm going to win - almost makes a game of it. With a few not-to-be-mentioned experiences involving Yamahas, it has served me well. They old girls but are easy to repair, thankfully. Wish I was further north to help!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

dells68

Ok, round 5!  I relocated the pump to under the fuel tank, put new fuel line on, new fuel cap/gauge, and checked fuel flow from the tank valve.  Starts and purrs like a kitten.  Gotta get my multimeter from Dad's and check the voltage going to it.  Hope this will cure my woes! Gonna rain for the foreseeable future, so it may be a while before I get to try her out.  Keep your fingers crossed🤞!

B848907A-3E28-42E7-A80F-B211E891FC47.jpeg

2E1ACE21-5667-4AC3-A146-6A99182F28E3.jpeg

• Like 7

rjg854

Fingers crossed ;) best of luck, 5th time is charm. :ROTF:

• Haha 2

rjg854

I've been fighting the original fuel pump on the 16 automatic,  filled the crankcase with gas. Think I got that fixed,  now oil is leaking from where it mounts to the engine. One step forward 2 steps back. 

• Sad 2

953 nut

Image result for fingers crossed

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Attaboy Dell!  Persistence pays off, you just need to be more stubborn than the tractor!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2