bottjernat1

My wifes commando v8

bottjernat1

Good morning everyone i have a few questions about my wife's 1969 commando v8! the tractor ran in 2014 but the next year when i went to start it me and my late dad found out it had no spark. it has the kohler kv181s motor and i cant find anything on the trigger or eyes for the flywheel i even tried kohler and they cant help me! my wife her grandpa had one when she was a little girl and we bought this off my late dad craig bottjer many years ago beside the stupid governor leaking a little it has been a great addition to our wheel horse collection. me and my late dad try to figure it out and 2 other guys and no success. it has the flat spot on the block for points but no hole for the pusher to make the points work. the coil is good i do know that. i am going to dig it out and bring it home to start trying to figure it out. Here is a photo from many years ago my wife hates this photo LOL but it is the only one i have till i dig it out of my shed! Thanks fellow wheelhorse folks!

36176106_1517717691667771_347623696476667904_n.jpg

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

Some manuals that may help (click on the picture

Welcome to red square.

Your engine had a breakerless ignition system was It was an early solid state system.  New Parts (trigger and the triangular shaped coil are NLA)  Used ones are on ebay sometimes but pricey.  The system was widely used on 10 and 12 hp horizontal shaft Kohler of that vintage.  When they failed it was easy to convert them to a battery ignition system  I am not sure about the vertical shaft...  would guess so maybe someone with more knowledge will come along.

Edited by pfrederi

WHX??

I don't know much about the verticals but can :WRS:

Tell your Missus we like that Photo! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX20
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

I saw v8 and was expecting to see a small block with headers!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

Here are the tests for the coil and trigger.

coil.JPG