ebinmaine

Can I bench test a "metal can" type voltage regulator that would have been on a starter/generator.?

953 nut
8 hours ago, pfrederi said:

This diagram is slightly misleading.  it doesn't show one essential wire.  On this style regulator there is a terminal on the bottom.  That has a short wire that runs directly to the armature terminal on the Genny.  There are two wires on the genny A post one heavy one for starting and the lighter one for charging via the regulator.  It doesn't show up here as it is actually a Kohler part and is shown in the Kohler engine parts manuals and came with the engine S/G unit.  .  This diagram is a Wheel horse diagram it only shows the stuff they added.

Good catch Paul! Guess I need to make up a new hybrid drawing to cover the stock three terminal wiring. the first diagram I posted has the "GEN" generator terminal but the one from the :wh: manual hasn't got it.  Go figure. I guess the engines came from Kohler with the S/G and Regulator mounted and the :wh: diagram only showed the wires that were part of the factory wiring.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:04 PM, 953 nut said:

Sure thing!

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

21 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Try this one.

image.png.510059c90ac853596456d58f46f642bd.png

• Excellent 1

953 nut

OK, Paul @pfrederi and Eric @ebinmaine, take a look at this drawing, it will be added to my electrical post.

5ba56989a6fbb_SGbatteryignitionwith3poleswitch.jpg.c4da2c8b40ffe6d0af25890fdedef2db.jpg

ebinmaine

Looks good from what I'm learning but I'll ask Paul to take a peak.

Separate but still related question.

Will the terminals on the starter/generator, be marked??

I don't see any markings on the outside or near them.

pfrederi

There is usually a F or A stamped into the Genny housing. next to one terminal

• Thanks 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Closer look tomorrow

:handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine
23 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Found that. Thank you.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 9/21/2018 at 5:58 PM, 953 nut said:

OK, Paul @pfrederi and Eric @ebinmaine, take a look at this drawing, it will be added to my electrical post.

5ba56989a6fbb_SGbatteryignitionwith3poleswitch.jpg.c4da2c8b40ffe6d0af25890fdedef2db.jpg

Dick and @pfrederi Paul.

She's wired up and running again !!

Thanks for the help !!

IMG_20180922_200001603.jpg.e2719a5c3e8c1b335b4d57fa5f221abd.jpg

IMG_20180922_195951765.jpg.95794d419d20839a50c0d20efaaefaf2.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Regulator bases need to be grounded.  i am not sure that zip ties will maintain an adequate sound.  The saddle mount types screw to the Genny housing which is grounded.  I think you may want to rig up some sort of permanent ground for the base of you flat mount regulator

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Regulator bases need to be grounded.  i am not sure that zip ties will maintain an adequate sound.  The saddle mount types screw to the Genny housing which is grounded.  I think you may want to rig up some sort of permanent ground for the base of you flat mount regulator

Nice catch on the zip ties Paul.

What I did was wire brush a small patch on the casing of the generator and also on the feet of the regulator.

Due to the fuel pump spewing gasoline all over the general vicinity I have not tested for voltage yet.

Once I determine whether or not this regulator is putting out the appropriate voltage I'll get a couple of large metal hose clamps to wrap around the entire housing.

• Like 1

Machineguy

@ebinmaine

I don’t know if you’ve seen the Gorilla glue commercials? But if the zip tie comes loose that big gorilla might run up in the shop with some tape and give you quite the scare! Happened to me the other day when a bunjee cord fix of mine came loose! Scared me to death when that gorilla ran in my garage!! 

True Story! 

:ychain: :occasion-partyblower: 

• Haha 3

953 nut
1 minute ago, Machineguy said:

Happened to me the other day when a bunjee cord fix of mine came loose! Scared me to death when that gorilla ran in my garage!! 

:wwp:                                            :ychain:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

True Story! 

True

Story

Rreeeeeeeeelllyyyyyyyyy.........

• Haha 3

Machineguy
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

:wwp:                                            :ychain:

Sorry guys, I was so shaken up I didn’t think to get any pics! I’ll be ready next time! 

:ROTF:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine

@pfrederi and @953 nut

She's up and running and starts on her own power and sounds great but is not charging.

Can you give me a DVOM usable test that I can do to determine if it is the generator not putting out or the regulator not putting out?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Ground the F terminal on the Genny to a KNOWN good Ground  (or the battery - terminal)  I do not trust zip ties.

Anyway when you ground it you will here the engine slow a bit and the voltage should jump up to about 14.  If so Genny is good and regulator is bad, not wired right or not grounded.

If There is no increase in voltage then the charging field coil in the genny is probably bad.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Ground the F terminal on the Genny to a KNOWN good Ground  (or the battery - terminal)  I do not trust zip ties.

Anyway when you ground it you will here the engine slow a bit and the voltage should jump up to about 14.  If so Genny is good and regulator is bad, not wired right or not grounded.

If There is no increase in voltage then the charging field coil in the genny is probably bad.

Very nice. Thanks Paul.

I'm probably putting more trust in the ground than I should.

As a later development, I noticed a very serious whining noise coming from this generator so I'm going to have to swap another one on there anyway. Fairly sure this one has a bad bearing in the belt end.

pfrederi

I would still test it now.  No point in messing with a bad bearing if the charging field coil is bad

ebinmaine
Just now, pfrederi said:

I would still test it now.  No point in messing with a bad bearing if the charging field coil is bad

Yes sir. Very true.