Dakota

Wheel horse 310-8

Dakota

So after selling my 73’ 8hp no name for $800 (I didn’t want to sell it but for that price I was happy too 😁), I bought a 310-8. I don’t know much about the newer ones so any info on it would be great. First off, how durable is the trans? I know it only has the 1in axle but I was hoping I could still tow some pretty heavy trailers with it, second it has the Kohler Magnum 10. What is the difference between the magnum and the older k241? And 3rd, it runs great at high rpms but when I lower the throttle it dies after idleing for about 25-30seconds. Over all I’m pretty happy with it so far and I noticed a HUGE difference between the 10hp and my previous 8hp. Using the 42in deck that came with it, it mowed great even in some pretty tall stuff. I’ll include a few pics that the previous owner had in his ad and add some more later when I get off work.

1A148EE6-A58A-4ED7-B209-D6A863F6D333.png

11C76320-D360-486D-A554-6D36D0E31BD1.png

• Like 2

pfrederi

About the only difference between a Magnum 10 and K241 is the ignition system.  Magneto in magnum.  no points to worry about needing adjustment

Sounds like a thorough carb cleaning is order.

I asked once how many people actually broke 1" axles that weren't using it as a puller or mounted duals... Do not think anyone had done it.

• Like 3

Dakota

@pfrederithanks for the info. I need the ignition system was different since this one has solid state. The reason I asked if there were any differences is because it smokes on startup and it appears to leak a small amount of oil from the head so it going to get a new gasket. I couldn’t find very many for the magnum but I found a lot for the k241 and didn’t know if it would work for mine.

ebinmaine

Dakota, I agree with Paul about the axle.

It would be obvious to anyone who's ever been around a science class that something that is a little thicker should in theory be stronger than something that is just a bit thinner than same said item.

I've been running my 1974 B80 as our primary heavy load tractor here on the acreage and that has the one-inch axles of course.

The tractor itself has four oversized tires and all of them are fluid-filled and the rears have steel wheel weights. I asked who made the total weight of the tractor alone to be somewhere in the 925 lb area.

I have hauled over a thousand pounds in the trailer behind that more times than I could even begin to tell you.

I do take it slow and easy because I know that's a lot of weight in consideration of the size of the brake.

As far as your engine smoking at startup.

Personally I've never been too worried about an engine that puts out a puff or two of blue smoke when it's not warmed up yet.

In relation to the idle problem you definitely need to remove the carburetor and clean it out appropriately and put it back on with new gaskets and carb kit parts.

While the carburetor is off and out of the way you need to clean the Breather for the block.

• Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Try Isavetractors ( I think that is the name they have head gaskets for your engine. I have 310-8 runs great too many safety switches for my liking but I am an ole goat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dakota

@ebinmainethanks for the info! As far as it smoking, it’s not just a couple puffs. I smokes quite a bit for a good 1-2 minutes. It’s also white smoke not blue as black as you would expect if it were burning oil.

• Like 1

The Gman

While your at it and if you're up to it...... since the head and valve cover will be off why not lap the valves while you're in there. Might help the smoke a bit. Just be sure to check and adjust the valve clearance after.

pfrederi

Head gasket is same as K241  4704115-s Kohler  465328 Stens

Kohlers that are some what worn will smoke white to blue white for a couple minutes... I have some that have run for along time like that...If it bothers you can overhaul it.

• Like 2

Dakota

@pfrederiit doesn’t bother, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t cause further harm to the engine. The working hour letter shows 1900 hours so it’s defiantly worn.

pfrederi

It willl hasten the build up of carbon so pulling the head and cleaning it up is a good idea

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Gman

Not sure about the 10's but the 12's have a low oil sensor ( internal float) of sorts. Should prevent it from starting if the oil is low although not entirely sure. Especially if it's been disconnected.

Dakota

@The Gmanhow would I check to see if it’s been disconnected? Also while we’re talking about wiring, there is a small silver bottom the dash that says “test” above t. It looks to be connected into the lights. What is this button for?

The Gman

The test button, sometimes a little spring toggle switch just checks that all the bulbs in the test panel work.

If it's there..... the oil sensor should be on the passenger side...... (haha haha like it's a car or something)B). Near the engine base pointing towards the rear.

That's were it is on the 12's. If is does in fact disable the engine startup I expect it would be interlocked into the kill wire providing a short to ground. I'd have to look at my 12. It's up at the farm helping out a Massey 12 until I get around to rebuilding it's hh120.

Dakota

@The Gmanthe only spot for a bulb on my dash is for the oil sensor, the bulb is gone though and there wasn’t any wiring. I’ll check the engine when I get home though

The Gman

Be sure to go to the search icon, then select all content then select files and enter in 310-8 and search. More there than you could imagine.

Your engine, switch, wiring diagram and more.......

BESTDOGEVER

I have had my 310-8 since new in 87 it has hauled hundreds of cartloads of firewood at about 1000 pounds or more and no problems ever. If you can hook a trailer to it it will pull it.

953 nut
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

tires and all of them are fluid-filled and the rears have steel wheel weights.

Like Eric was telling you, the brakes on the :wh: are the limiting factor. Adding weight to the tires will add stability and help STOP a load.

• Like 1

kick

My 310-8 gets more work than all my other horses with gas mileage as a bonus. As a side note it’s my humble opinion that the single Kohler 8 speed tractors are some of the most durable wheel horses ever built.   That one inch axle is laughing at you.  

Edited by kick