WHX??

A sad sad day....

WHX??

Sadly Dan @Achto informed me the the other day of a 857 and a C-120 that was deposited at his local county dump. Dump rules are  such that once it hits the ground it stays due to junkyard dogs going to fisticuffs over scrap steel. Understandable  Despite some hastily made plans of bribery,  chicanery and/or hook or crook to rescue them we failed miserably. We may get drummed out of the Mafia for that one.

I'll let Dan fill you in on the details if he has the stomach.  I would like to believe that that our beloved  ones would be smelted down to produce more tractors but then I wake up from that dream. Sorry no bone yard pics not that we would want to see them.

Dan asked me if he had a problem over grieving over these lost gems. You decide... So in memoriam I feel it is quite nescessary to post pics of our lost loved ones. Since I don't have a C-120 here's what I have of a 857.:(  Please post your pics of either models. True story, I wouldn't hose you guys and not just fishin  for :text-coolphotos:

20170402_212257.jpg

20170402_212245.jpg

20170506_164445.jpg

20170402_212315.jpg

Edited by WHX20
  • Sad 7

WVHillbilly520H

Our county dump has the same rules with a big sign over the "steel pile" "NO METAL SCAVENGING" it's sad but I do believe the county sells the scrap iron to help offset operating costs.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Nothing wrong with the dumpsites selling the scrap iron, but a dollar is a dollar! They could just have easily sold it to you!

My guess....More about liability if the general public gets hurt while digging around in the piles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

For themselves, they sit stuff off to the side all the time...

to make it happen, you just need to sweet talk($) the forklift operator there.  

• Like 6

WHNJ701

more likely to keep the meth heads out of there, I agree with dump rules,  our town dumpster is only open 1 time a month.  if you ask you can take what you want since they are paying for the dumpster

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

Nothing wrong with the dumpsites selling the scrap iron, but a dollar is a dollar! They could just have easily sold it to you!

My guess....More about liability if the general public gets hurt while digging around in the piles.

Or trade real scrap for it...  what a bummer.

If they want to generate real revenue they should have auto mailers that go out to the Garden Tractor Mafia @Achto, @PeacemakerJack, @WHX20 And @Coulter Caleb that they’re holding a GT yard sale on the first Saturday of every month!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Maybe you need to apply in person by bringing your own sample to “dismantle” like a time trial for first bidding rights?  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

oldredrider

A few years back there was a landfill that would let you savage. That all stopped when someone got a stove. Stove caused a fire and the scavenger sued the county. End of scavenging. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

oldredrider

On the upside, I now have a relative who works at another landfill. Yes, she saves all the good stuff for me and even delivers! How cool is that?!!!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

stevebo

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_7396.JPG

IMG_7395.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Achto

I guess I can talk about it , Jim

Last Sat while I was dropping off some waste oil at our county dump I spied the two :wh:'s sitting by the metal pile. First thing I did was ask the gate keeper if there was any possible way for me to rescue them  from their fait. As expected the answer was "NO" :( Then I actually walked over to look at them & got really irritated. I knew both of these tractors. They had belonged to John, a man that helped me out with some parts for one of my tractors. In fact the first time I met him we had spent about 2hrs digging around in his yard looking for a part that he knew he had some place & talking about various things that we were both into. Various times after that we would run into each other & shoot the breeze. I was pretty upset that he didn't contact me before he hauled them to the dump. Where he got $0 for them.

After these findings I contacted Jim @WHX20 to cry on his shoulder a bit & try to devise away to rescue these poor :wh:'s. The thought came to mind to find out who picks up the scrap & contact them. Public records reviled that it was not a local company, which sucked because I know most of the local guys. Next thought was to go back on Wed. & see if we could beg, plead, or bribe them to change their mind. Well... all hope was lost yesterday when I drove by the dump and noticed that the scrap metal had been picked up.:( . Hopefully they get melted down into some thing useful.

Edited by Achto
  • Sad 3

Ed Kennell

Sorry for the loss Jim and Dan.  Here's a pic of his older brother that I saved.

IMG_4622.JPG.a4f28b2437625dddd862d2c9e24df392.JPG

And, the C-120,  my first Wheel Horse.

IMG_1538.JPG.1bb4b1ee0462cd034e865e5eb3d7da6b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

520HC

DSC00414.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

WHX??
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

county sells the scrap iron

Same here Jeff but I don't imagine they get too much for it do they?

1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

scavenger sued the county

Another reason ours doesn't allow it.

2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

sweet talk($) the forklift operator there.

That was plan Craig ... accidentally  drop a Grant or 2 by the gate Nazi. If that didn't work head off the scrap driver and see what he likes to drink...

1 hour ago, Achto said:

I was pretty upset that he didn't contact me before he hauled them to the dump

That is the kick in the groin...

Thanks for the pics fellas ...feeling better already :)

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, WHX20 said:

Same here Jeff but I don't imagine they get too much for it do they?

I'm not on board scrapping,shredding, melting and returning good old salvagable :wh: into a MTD, but for every $ they gain through scrap is one less I pay them to dig a hole to bury my trash :confusion-confused:...got look at it from both ends of your wallet...

• Like 3

roadapples
6 hours ago, oldredrider said:

A few years back there was a landfill that would let you savage. That all stopped when someone got a stove. Stove caused a fire and the scavenger sued the county. End of scavenging. 

Do you still have the stove..:ychain::ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Shynon

On the bright side your still @WHX20:ROTF:

• Haha 2

12Horse Paladin

that sux n makes me😡

'Save the whales/planet/your-cause-here'...

But throw away perfectly salvageable things...!

I once lostout on a highback WH branded seat cuza such nonsense.

I can tell you...or rather my Dad could😉...in the 70s n 80s going to the dump was same as going to a flea market. 

But even chesper still...cant beat free.

C120?

😔😪RIP; Prolly mine n Dad's favorite...

20190910_101323.jpg

20190910_175204.jpg

11-3-18 1217PM DAD 1ST TIME PLOW MOUNTED.jpeg

20190919_190949.jpg

IMG_1242.JPG

Edited by 12Horse Paladin
Added pic
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On 9/19/2018 at 7:01 AM, stevebo said:

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_7396.JPG

IMG_7395.JPG

Nice looking 857 Steve. Thanks for helping me out.