moe1965

Seafoam. Your thoughts

wfrpalm

I used Seafoam in my surgng 875 and it fixed it and to my JD LX277 that wouldn't idle and it fixed that.

• Like 1

wheelhorseman

I used it a lot years ago with good results but lately it hasn’t impressed me at all. Seafoam must have changed there formula because it was lite green years ago and now it is clear (there’s actually a paint code called seafoam green) So again I’m not impressed with it lately.

Edited by wheelhorseman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Have recently switched over to this stuff here...with much better results. 

Image result for star tron fuel

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

jeff lary

For at least 15 years or so I have added 5oz of Seafoam and 5oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to every 5 gallon can of gas before I fill the can. All my small engines get their gas from these cans. Saws over 20 of them Polaris Ranger Suzuki 4 wheeler , push mower, wood splitter , tiller, power washer , generator.....

My 3/12/8 was new in 1995 and only changed the Plug a couple times, a fuel pump once last year and a starter solenoid about 5 years ago. The carb has never been off or adjusted I am a believer I guess. Might be snake oil to some but my repair history tell me a different story.

Edited by jeff lary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

DennisThornton

I spoke with a BerryMans rep recently who told me that basically it was Seafoam at 1/2 the price.  If you'll search for Seafoam Msds you'll find that's its not rocket science.  Not saying that it can't work, just that someone might be getting wealthy per gallon. 

Not knocking it.  I use it!  But I might be using more BerryMans.... 

• Like 2

Spareparts

Lucky here, we can get eathonal free gas in 93 octane, that is what I run in my pulling tractor

and all of my lawn equipt. They start better and actually have more power. On the pullers

I have been running the same engines for 6 yrs. with an ocasionay plug (E3's) change 

and valve adj. They are all Kohler's 301 & 341's

WH nut
13 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I estimate that 2000 gallons of gasoline has been run thru my 520H tractors.  If I would have added a can of Seafoam to each 5 gallons, that would have been over $2800.  I did use one can in an attempt to clear a performance issue but it didn't do anything so I am out only $7.

Your math does not compute. Ioz to a gallon = 125 cans. At $7.00 a can thats 875 bucks

• Like 1

roadapples
7 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat: Have recently switched over to this stuff here...with much better results. 

Image result for star tron fuel

Been using this for 7-8 years. No alcohol.  Cheaper than ethanol free gas. Nearest station is 40 miles round trip in a town that I have no other reason to go to...

Read about it on their website..

• Like 1

Sarge

Seafoam has changed - not just in color, either. Doesn't work nearly as well as it used to but it can help clear varnish. The B-12 does seem to work a lot better but be careful using it in modern emission engines.

Most of the true cleaners have lost the zip due to EPA rules, no substitute for taking a carb apart and give it a real cleaning. On picky engines, replace the idle mix needle, main jet needle, and a new main jet - they work like new again as long as the throttle shaft isn't worn. 

If you use ethanol - you're on your own there.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
10 hours ago, WH nut said:

Your math does not compute. Ioz to a gallon = 125 cans. At $7.00 a can thats 875 bucks

A previous poster said he uses a can in each 5 gallons of gas, I didn't want to call him out directly by quoting him.  Sorry about the confusion.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

• Like 2

richmondred01
On 9/18/2018 at 3:50 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm sure you are talking about the 1 gallon pail of Berryman's Carb cleaner (soak tank) but I also use Berryman's B-12 in my fuel, 2 reasons 1) it's cheaper than Seafoam (nearly half) 2) it's more aggressive than Seafoam (it will eat through a styrofoam cup like pure gasoline)...not knocking Seafoam I'm just cheap and getting the same results, also MMO (marvel mystery oil) is good for the crankcase and valvetrain can't say so much for the fuel system, all this just my experiences, Jeff.

15373000870165167311382397583759.jpg

Im going to try this.

its funny that I get stuck on a good product and never try anything new. 

Seafoam is great but it’s nearly doubled in price since I first started using it.

i will get some Berryman this weekend and give it a try.

thanks for the info.

• Like 4

moe1965

Well here is the results. I used marvel mystery oil instead. I burned through about 4 gal of gas in the c141 mowing and riding around etc and I just backed it into the garage idled it down and backed her in at a very low idle and it didn't even think about sputtering or stalling.  Let it run for about 5 min at a low idle and no issues.  I hope it saved my problems. Still not not sold on the whole ring in a can thing and voodoo etc but I'm good for now.  Thanks for all your input and experiences jk 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2