Talltale

wheel Horse 855 Belt change help

Talltale

First post here hello all!

I just picked up a 1965 wheel horse 855 and while attempting to do the first mow the belt slips. Looking at the belt it looks in pretty tough shape and only had one belt so I ordered two of them and now comes the fun part of putting them on. Thought it was going to be a simple change and we all know how that turns out. Does anybody have any information on how to go about changing the belts ?

41673028_317031152219530_759788343251697664_n.jpg

41786630_700558556963471_3006733125905547264_n.jpg

Edited by Talltale
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square.  Which belt or belts are you wanting to change?  Nice looking horse.

If you have not, greased the spindles on the mower deck.  The grease zerk is in that hole you can see in your picture on the deck, under that little cover.  One on each side.  If it is the belt from the mower deck to that bottom pulley, you might just try some belt dressing...but do not put belt dressing on the other belts (they work as your clutch for the horse and the deck) they are supposed to slip when the tension pulleys are not employed.  The belt from the engine drive pulley to the bottom pulley is a 28" x 1/2" belt, and should just slip off.  You may have to loosen a guide or two to make room.  I don't see any guides in your picture.  The guides funnel the slack in the belt so it doesn't fly off the pulleys.  Your drive belt comes off by lifting up your seat and taking off the belt cover.  There is another tension pulley under the drive belt guard.

We have manuals for your horse and the mower deck in the "Manuals Section" on the Main Page.  :occasion-xmas:  Post a few pictures of around those pulleys, you may have to make a guide or two if they are missing.

• Like 1

pfrederi

I assume you want to replace the double drive belts on the deck.  Remove deck from tractor.  Loosen double drive belts (bolt in pic one) get them off the front pulley

Remove cover next to belt pulleys pic 2

The white metal bracket has two bolts holding it from underside of deck take them out pic 3

If you are lucky the shaft and end gear will move up enough to get the  belts off.  If not you will have to go to the other end.  Don't remove the bolts but loosen them alot.  Also loosen remove the 4 nuts holdong the center bracket to get more wiggle room. Pic 4  Then you should have enough clearance. 

Make sure you buy the belts from WH as they are matched

IMG_0204_LI.jpg

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206_LI.jpg

IMG_0208.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

:WRS:

Nice looking horse and appears to original. I've got a 1055 so I'm partial to the '55s

Here's the manual and if you can tell us the model of the deck can get you that manual too.

wfrpalm

Man, that sure is complicated.

• Haha 1

WHX??
20 minutes ago, wfrpalm said:

Man, that sure is complicated.

Not too bad once you have done it once.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

The deck you have is a little older than the one Paul showed you the process on and may seem more complicated, but it isn't too bad a job. Take a look at the manual and you will see parts 8, 9, and 12. Back off on lock nuts "12" and turn rods "9" to loosen the belt. From there on it is the same as @pfrederi said. When you tighten the belts be sure to keep the belts square to the deck by adjusting the rods evenly.

squonk

Get lots of rags! You can get the belts at Napa. They are made by Gates and with today's manufacturing technology they are within thousandths of each other. Get lots of rags!

• Like 2

wallfish

Curious if he needs any rags to help with this job? :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Dunno  'fish.....knowing Squonk he might be already on the cloth.....:lol:

Seriously 'tale them ags and front weights are suggestioning ground engaging attachments? 

Edited by WHX20
  • Haha 1

Talltale

Thanks for the info all I'll give it a shot when my other belt comes in. The only attachment I have for it is a home made front plow. I will let y'all know how it goes when I go to change them and keep this updated. 

received_2130842290568465.jpeg

• Like 1

Talltale

Followed the pictures above can't get enough lift to slide the belts under. The deck is a rm 364

pfrederi

Then you have to remove the nuts holding the center bracket completely and maybe also the two bolts holding the white metal bracket on the other side Then you can lift the cross shaft higher..

Not being a job i like to do very often is why i always used the WH matched belts...They last a very long time....

• Like 1

Talltale

Got the bolts loosend then I kinda pinched the belt and spun the blade and got them in. Thanks guys for all the help! Also I'm covered in grease whens that rag shipment going to be here? Haha 

IMG_20180920_092347.jpg

• Like 2

Tommy1004

I have the same deck and tractor and I do not know how to put the deck on

squonk
17 minutes ago, Tommy1004 said:

I have the same deck and tractor and I do not know how to put the deck on

Easiest way that I know. .

Look at the picture above your post. There is what looks like a bolt coming out of the round piece towards the rear. That "bolt should be a 90 deg bend at the top. There is supposed to be another piece on that 90 that slides over it and attaches with a pin. Ten that piece has a pin that connects to your lift arm. It is set up that way so you can slide the deck under the tractor. If it is not there a longer "bolt" with the 90 will work but you have to jack up the tractor to slide the deck under.

Once you have the bolt attached, Raise the lift arm to latch it. The deck will now swing. Where the front pullies are you will see a latch on the front of the tractor where the shaft the pullies are on. Swing the front of the deck up into this latch. Lock the latch and secure with a hitch pin on the left side.

If you can give us pictures it will help us in case you have pieces missing. 

In this picture you can see the latch arm below the pto pedal idler pulley

8824832_857bs001.JPG.3301b3a8064350c78025de4d9ce8c21b.JPG

Left side: You can see it right behind the front tire.

1662916811_cat001.JPG.1e98323794a7fd6fadf455a51127e377.JPG

Edited by squonk