The Gman

Thinking about it.

The Gman

I'm in the hmmmmm, thinking should I shouldn't I on an electric model I saw a few weeks ago

No batteries, the motor spins on the tractor

What should I ask, look at and look for?

What do I need to bring as a minimum to test both motors?

20180826_122826.jpg

20180826_122814.jpg

• Like 1

roadapples

I've heard the batteries are very expensive. But quiet... Great for cruising the shows....

• Like 1

The Gman
On 17/09/2018 at 11:53 AM, roadapples said:

I've heard the batteries are very expensive.

Would it take six or eight 6volt batteries and would they need to be deep cylcle? Brushed or brushless motors? It is from the guy with the mega collection. He knew nothing about it.

Waiting for some or the "e wh" guys to come along. ☺🐾🐾🐾

roadapples

I know very little about them, but I think @buckrancher has one...

953 nut

For testing you could bring three 12 Volt car batteries.

• Like 1

Racinbob
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, The Gman said:

Would it take six or eight 6volt batteries and would they need to be deep cylcle? Brushed or brushless motors? It is from the guy with the mega collection. He knew nothing about it.

Waiting for some or the "e wh" guys to come along. ☺🐾🐾🐾

It takes 6 12 volt batteries. 3 of them wired in series for 36 volts, same with the other and then parallel connect the 2 sets. :)

Edited by Racinbob

DarylJ

Pretty sure that model, the E141, has all batteries placed under the front hood.  No power steering could be a problem with all that battery weight perched above the front half of the tractor.  

If you want a Wheel Horse electric and are willing to wait until a decent one shows up, Wheel Horse also offered two other full size garden tractors that were also battery powered:  C185 and B145.  These two are virtually identical to the General Electric tractors, ancestors to the WH models (after Wheel Horse, they emerged one more time with the New Idea badge and colors on them). They are significantly different than the E141.  The C185 and B145 have 4 batteries in the rear end beneath the seat, and the remaining two under the front hood.  They are all large 6 volt golf cart batteries approximately 65 lbs each.  Having only two batteries out front greatly reduces the impact on steering, while having 4 in the back greatly enhances traction.  

As an aside, I have a C185 sitting here, not for sale, unused since I got it several years back, awaiting its time in the queue.  Maybe next year....I’ll get to it and put in a new set of batteries and back into service here around the farm yard.  Amazingly, this particular tractor has NEVER been used outside since new, so it’s in near pristine condition.  Mower was never used since new, and snowblower is also mint.  According to the gentleman I purchased it from, the tractor had only been used inside of a school gymnasium to pull/push bleachers from the walls.  Zero signs of any battery leaks as well, which is oftentimes responsible for frames rusting to bits on these.  Patience will eventually lead you to a nice one.  Stay away from rust buckets if at all possible.

There are some good online sites where lots of information on these tractors awaits, the Elec Trak site probably being  the largest.  These tractors were decades ahead of their time, but it’s time may be returning sooner than we think, as “green” power is becoming more prevalent.  The C185 is claimed to be equivalent to a 20hp ICE, with gobs of torque.  Not sure how they would perform as pullers, but with all that weight and motor torque, maybe quite good.

Edited by DarylJ
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

We would love to see pictures of your C-185! 

• Like 2

DarylJ

Sure.  Have to be away from home for a few days, but when I get back will take some of the tractor.  The two attachments are in deep storage, so can’t get immediate photos of those, but the tractor is in more accessible storage, so I can get to it and shoot some pics.

• Like 1

The Gman

Thanks for the info. Daryl. Like most on the site the electric model seems a bit like hens teeth to find. Being north of the border (Ontario Canada) can't imagine setting eyes on another one. I think a weight box off the rear would help with the steering problem. I'd be looking at around $110 ish or more cdn. for each good marine grade deep cycle battery. So taxed out I'm at $752.00 just to get it moving. If it doesn't move or the charging system is not working then ouch. I am still in interested it but need to make sure all the motors work and the charging system Is solid. I'm presuming the're brushed motors and nothing too exotic to replace the brushes.

https://rbwheelhorsestables.yolasite.com is the only other place I've seen one. This guy's place is truly unbelievable. Walk aways, Ride aways even a dozer...... and more. I think at sometime he has had at least one of every model there was. A retired auto body guy he took them to better than new.

I will probably go see the E141 again with 3 car batteries in tow. Until then, thanks again.

Gary

• Like 1

Buzz

How did you make out? There is a collector in Hamilton Ontario that has quite a few. His name is Geof Thompson. He is a Red Square member  

The Gman

I passed on it. He wouldnt go less than $600 for the horse. Add another $700 for good deep cycle batteries and I'm at $1,300. Just couldn't pull the trigger for that much right now.

:mellow:

• Like 1

Buzz

Smart move considering you couldn't be sure that the motors and charging system work. I've heard that if you're only going to ride it around shows you can get away with using 3 12V batteries. 

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Ouch , strong price for a " hopefully it work"...

Does anybody knows how much all the Original battery's weight together? 

I am asking about, to get an idea about the weight on the front Axle, what the Axle shall carry permanently.

regards

Stefan

DarylJ

Crown CR-225 6 volt batteries are listed as having a weight of 62 lbs. each, which is fairly typical within a couple of pounds across brands.  Two in front will weigh 124 lbs.  Four in rear box will weigh another 248 lbs.  If you put the tractor up on stands, you could use three 12v garden tractor batteries to test the circuitry.  I purchased a couple of them last week at Fleet-Farm for $24 each plus core exchange.  If you have a GT or two or three around, temporarily pulling and using them to do your testing will be lowest cost option.  Total volts must be 36 in series.  Like Buzz says above, if you are only using the tractor for shows or parades where you will not have much, if any, heavy pulling involved, you could certainly get by with three 12v deep cycle batteries.  Your cost savings will be significant.  But, if you plan to use the tractor for prolonged work tasks, then you will want and need the six heavy duty 6v golf cart batteries.

• Like 1

Tractorhead
17 hours ago, DarylJ said:

Crown CR-225 6 volt batteries are listed as having a weight of 62 lbs. each, which is fairly typical within a couple of pounds across brands.  Two in front will weigh 124 lbs.  Four in rear box will weigh another 248 lbs.  If you put the tractor up on stands, you could use three 12v garden tractor batteries to test the circuitry.  I purchased a couple of them last week at Fleet-Farm for $24 each plus core exchange.  If you have a GT or two or three around, temporarily pulling and using them to do your testing will be lowest cost option.  Total volts must be 36 in series.  Like Buzz says above, if you are only using the tractor for shows or parades where you will not have much, if any, heavy pulling involved, you could certainly get by with three 12v deep cycle batteries.  Your cost savings will be significant.  But, if you plan to use the tractor for prolonged work tasks, then you will want and need the six heavy duty 6v golf cart batteries.

Thanks for the info about weight !