JAinVA

Wheel horse tractors

JAinVA

I have a question about whether any Wheel Horse tractor except some of the very early ones is an investment grade item.I know that the 420LSE  with their low production numbers are.It is just to me these machines are a respected capable tool.I have noted a number of posts that ask about the worth of a restored machine.My thought is that a 40 Year old high production GT with a spray job is just that.Not really of much interest to anyone outside the WH community.Just curious.

Edited by JAinVA

new2horses

Jim,

I would agree with Richard, if you want investment, buy bonds of CD's or even stocks. Buying anything "collectable" is a sure loser. But don't stop adding to your collection because of reality, I haven't and won't let it stop me! :D

• Like 6

WHNJ701

your talking garden tractors not shelby cobras, if you have a rare garden tractor it's not life changing money.  

• Like 4

Pollack Pete

I never thought of any hobby as a money maker.Like others have said,we're in this for fun,not to make money.Breaking even is good.Usually lose when I sell anything.Only Horse I ever made money on was a little verticle shaft one that was given to me.

• Like 6

Jerry77
1 hour ago, new2horses said:

or even stocks

Pick good solid companies - hard to beat this for a good place to park your money...retirement, retirement...gets here before you know it...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

pacer

Yep, --- same here! I've bought some 11-12 horses over the last 5 yrs and I think I made about $25-50 on ONE of them, and thats just money spent not counting the 100+hrs labor in it. And that one turned out that way mainly because I didnt have to buy tires.

I get a bit of ragging with a couple of my buddies about it but I just throw back at em about their bass fishing (MAJORLY expensive!) or another a photographer (another high dollar hobby - showed me a new telescopic lens at $6000!) Bottom line is I just LOVE to get out in my "office" and get dirty, nasty, greasy, etc messing around with my tractors:-o:-o

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

Yep, restoring garden tractors is not a profitable business.    Restoring better be a labor of love.  

Now buying rollers for cheap, getting them mechanically sound and selling as a worker can make a few bucks if you don't consider your time invested.

• Like 6

WHX??

I like to resto them, or get them mechanically sound beauty not withstanding,  stand back and take a few pictures, share here and admire what limited talent I have. Then hop on and go for a ride and get them dirty. Never at any point does turning a buck cross my mind. The fun I have on my little red tractor is my recoup of my time and investment. The joy of a sunset ride is enough for me.  Extra parts get sold for what I have in them or given away to those to share the same. :)

That said you might be able to might be able to make a $ or three on one of your creations to someone who has deep pockets and little sense!

3 hours ago, oldredrider said:

only way to recoup your investment is to work that tractor

Hit the nail on the head!

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Chris G

I would agree with all the previous. I pick them up all the time because I enjoy these machines and hate seeing them junked. This is a hobby I have always enjoyed and it keeps me busy and moving around. When i am done with one and had my fun using it, I pass it along to the next, if I can recoup the cost of my cigars and coffee i consume during the build. Well then It was a great deal. I also believe that good hobbies and tradition of keeping these around will not exist if making a profit is a necessity. Breaking even is always good. But sometimes to save them that just isn't feasible. 

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Tankman

Wouldn't purchase a Horse to restore 'n sell.

Most of my Horses were adopted to provide a good home for and care for.

Most were neglected poor things!!!

The Horses take turns doin' chores. :handgestures-thumbupright:

My Stallions are semi-retired, enjoying their senior years.....with me and my grandsons.

I would think most forums members feel the same.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pollack Pete
2 hours ago, Tankman said:

The Horses take turns doin' chores. :handgestures-thumbupright:

All of mine that run take turns too.Last couple years only doing lawn mowing duty.My favorite is a 414-8.Then a 520-H.Then a 312-8.Last is a C-101.Keeps the batteries charged and fresh fuel running through them.Bought a brandX tractor couple yrs ago for snow removal.Winter time,the Horses rest.