The Tuul Crib

Blade removal

The Tuul Crib

Didn't these tractors come with wrenchs to remove the blades? Any ideas where I can get a set?

JAinVA

The wrench for decks with the smaller nut that is part of the spindle is available on Ebay.The spindle nut is just an 1 1/8" nut. I use an 1 1/8" socket and a homemade wrench to install the blade.To break the spindle nut free I use a block of wood to keep the blade from turning.Impact wrench eliminates the need for a block.Again the wrench is a available on E-bay for around $26.00 plus shipping. 

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
22 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

The wrench for decks with the smaller nut that is part of the spindle is available on Ebay.The spindle nut is just an 1 1/8" nut. I use an 1 1/8" socket and a homemade wrench to install the blade.To break the spindle nut free I use a block of wood to keep the blade from turning.Impact wrench eliminates the need for a block.Again the wrench is a available on E-bay for around $26.00 plus shipping. 

What is the size of the smaller nut?

JAinVA

1 1/8"  I had a hard time justifying spending $26.00 on something I only use occassionally.The wrench I made is of mild steal and is used only to secure the spindle after the nut is broken loose.The older 42" deck I have has a huge nut attached to the spindle.I use a pipe wrench to secure the spindle once the nut is broken free.

Edited by JAinVA

lynnmor
43 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

1 1/8"  I had a hard time justifying spending $26.00 on something I only use occassionally.The wrench I made is of mild steal and is used only to secure the spindle after the nut is broken loose.The older 42" deck I have has a huge nut attached to the spindle.I use a pipe wrench to secure the spindle once the nut is broken free.

I bought a wrench with a new tractor in 1991.  That wrench is, like you say, mild steel and will spread easily making it useless.  Find a flea market wrench and grind down the thickness if necessary.

• Excellent 1

JAinVA

Impact wrench for me.Nuts come off fast and no other wrench needed.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, JAinVA said:

:text-yeahthat:

timo4352
9 hours ago, JAinVA said:

Nope.

Worked for me in the past..., but this time around removing the blades the whole spindle spun - loosening the nut on the top!

You need to hold that lower spindle nut.

The impact is a wonderful thing....

gwest_ca
11 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

What is the size of the smaller nut?

A trick to determine wrench size

Take the thread size say

5/8" = 10/16" + 50% = (10/16 +5/16) = 15/16" wrench size.

3/4" = 6/8" + 50% = (6/8 + 3/8 = 9/8) = 1-1/8" wrench size.

Does not work for all sizes but reduces the number of trips to the tool box.

Garry

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

an old blade. a hacksaw and some time at the grinding wheel.  0$ and about 10 minutes.  Works great very tough no spreading...

IMG_3428.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2