Machineguy

Public service announcement on ethanol

Machineguy

View the pictures and understand this could be your carb resting with ethanol in it! :bitch:

57584714-CFBA-446A-AFB8-B1994AE8B6D8.jpeg

C8A034A9-F300-4066-8668-3C19BE11AE48.jpeg

F0E01C8A-BC51-4739-A5EB-75622ADBA42C.jpeg

F0861E03-003F-4253-919F-B66E9CFD2177.jpeg

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

Digger 66

Yep . The stuff is Bad News .

• Like 1

JAinVA

Had a carb on a new Briggs ruined in less than two months because of ethanol.Never again.Ethanol free is all I use in the air cooled non computer engines.I'd run it in the truck but it's a flex fuel and should deal with the corn squeezings.Dumbest thing Uncle Whiskers ever forced on us.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy
6 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Had a carb on a new Briggs ruined in less than two months because of ethanol.Never again.Ethanol free is all I use in the air cooled non computer engines.I'd run it in the truck but it's a flex fuel and should deal with the corn squeezings.Dumbest thing Uncle Whiskers ever forced on us.

Absolutely! Destructive stuff! 

Machineguy

The powers that be don’t want the average consumer to keep their old vehicles and engines going. They want tax revenue generated by new vehicles and power equipment sales and taxes. Built to last is for old folks that wanted to stretch a dollar. We now live in a throwaway society that’s just about making the next dollar. I truly believe all of this potential damage to older machinery was realized only for profit. 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 3

Machineguy

BTW, this is my father in laws generator I’m working on to get ready for potential flooding from the hurricane. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JAinVA

Briggs or Tecumseh? Hope the rains cut you guys some slack out west .So far we have had way less rain in 3 days than we have had in an hour early last week.

Machineguy
37 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Briggs or Tecumseh? Hope the rains cut you guys some slack out west .So far we have had way less rain in 3 days than we have had in an hour early last week.

Old Homelite with a 8hp Briggs. Good unit and it’s singing as it should now. We’ve had tons of rain in the last week. Including a freak storm that put down almost 4 inches in an hour the other night. Anything we get here in the mountains will be flash flood rain. :(

• Sad 2

JAinVA

My generator is on standby in the shop.One thing I do when it is time to  put it up is drain the fuel tank.Start it up and let it run until the fuel is exhausted.If your FIL does this you shouldn't have any issues the next time he needs it.You probably would do that but he may need to be informed.Just show him this post if he doubts you.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Machineguy
12 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

My generator is on standby in the shop.One thing I do when it is time to  put it up is drain the fuel tank.Start it up and let it run until the fuel is exhausted.If your FIL does this you shouldn't have any issues the next time he needs it.You probably would do that but he may need to be informed.Just show him this post if he doubts you.

He said it was ran out of gas a couple years ago? No telling the actual time. The tank was spotless but the updraft carb was trashed from ethanol accumulating moisture. I got everything working correctly and it’s running great at a hefty load now. This has been a reality check about ethanol I suppose 

• Like 1

JAinVA

Thanks for the link.My son lives in Lynchburg and he swims well.Knowing him he isn't concerned even if  his mom and I are.Might be time to take this offline to PMs.

• Sad 1

Jerry77
10 hours ago, JAinVA said:

Start it up and let it run until the fuel is exhausted

When you are going to run it dry, add a little 2 cycle gas to the mix--keeps your carb gaskets from drying out and shrinking...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

When I prepare my mowers and boat motors  for the winter storage,  I mix a cocktail of 8oz of fuel, 2 oz of 2 cycle oil, and  2 oz of marine Sta-bil in an open tin can.

I start the engine as normal, then disconnect the fuel line(usually at the filter)  and stick the engine line in the cocktail and the tank end in a container.

The cocktail is sucked into the fuel pump, carb, and cylinders.

The fuel tank is drained into a container and burned in my vehicles.

I then pull the plugs and spray fogging oil in each cylinder as I crank the engine a few times.

This has worked for me for years for both 2 and 4 cycle engines.     I even burn the 2 cycle mixed fuel in my vehicles w/o any problems.   In the spring, I fill with fresh fuel and start up w/o any problems other than a little smoke until the cocktail burns off.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2