Ephillips2582

Ran out of oil!

Ephillips2582

Short version, ran out of oil while running! 

Long version, Help! New wheel horse owner here. I’ve had my c175 for about two months. Done a lot to it, including full service (new oil, hydraulic oil and filter, hydraulic rebuild, spark plugs and starter/battery). I always check oil levels before starting and haven’t had to add any for the two months since it was done, and I now weekly for 2-3 hours at once. After mowing half the yard yesterday, I came home from work today and jumped right on it (without checking oil level since I checked it yesterday and it was still fine, plus i was in a hurry.( I haven’t had any oil spots on the ground). Well, got a couple passes done, thought I ran over a pine cone, at least that’s exactly what it sounded like, and the mower lost a bit of power. I backed up, looking for the remnants of the pine cone, and there was nothing there. Did one pass around the yard, still acting funny. Shut her off, checked oil, and there wasn’t any on the stick! Put half a quart in her. Started her up, still acting funny. When I reengaged the blades, it had notible loss of power. Turned her off again. Check plugs, they were dry, but one was pretty black. I contribute this to having to run her a bit rich to run right. Tried her again, still screwy. Shut her down and jumped on here. 

Did I ruin it? Help! 

• Sad 1

Skipper

I would start with a compression test, and deside the course after that. :-)

• Excellent 1

lynnmor

It doesn't sound pretty.  Drain the oil and see if there are metal particles in it, if so then it is time to disassemble.

• Like 1

clueless

So for the first two month, no oil problem. Then in the last couple of weeks no oil. In the past few weeks you should have seen oil leaking from somewhere or a lot of smoke, I'm confused, am I missing something?

• Like 1

JAinVA

Did half a quart fill it up?If it did I doubt that lttle hurt the engine.If it didn't fill it up why run it?

• Like 1

Ephillips2582

Thanks y’all. 

Lynnmor, I’ll do that this weekend. 

Clueless, you’re correct, I’ve not seen any oil, and it’s parked in my garage. The only smoke I’ve seen is when it’s first started and when shut down. And that’s minor. And there’s nothing wet on the mower that I can see without disassembling. 

JAinVA, from no oil on the stick, until filled to appropriate fill level on dip stick, total 3/4 quart. 

JAinVA

I have a M16 that will burn a half a quart in 20 hours no sweat.I run it hard and see no noticeable smoke.I don't have any noticeable leaks to account for the loss.I assume it's burning the oil.

Since an air cooled engine runs hotter than water cooled one it might account for the usage.Three quarters of a quart  of oil leaked can't be missed even if the machine is moving.It will be everywhere.

Sparky

The series 1 Kohler 17 twins were known to starve one of the cylinders of oil if ran on slopes. They were a splash lubed motor and the cylinder on the "up side" wouldn't get proper lubrication.  What sorta terrain are you mowing?

Running the series 1 motor with the oil level just over the full line is commonly done to prevent this.

I think when the series 2 Kohler 17 twin came out it had some sort of pressure lube system.

• Like 2

Ephillips2582

Sparky, I’m running on completely flat terrain. 

Sparky
1 hour ago, Ephillips2582 said:

Sparky, I’m running on completely flat terrain. 

That’s good! Kinda eliminates the starved cylinder theory.

bo dawg

I bet it broke a rod. I have a K1 17 and it purrs and runs great on 1 cylinder riding around the yard, but try to hook a deck up to it and there's no way it will have enough power.

• Like 2

Ephillips2582

Well, crap... lol

Skipper

Which among other things, is why a compression test could tell you a lot before take apart :-)

• Haha 1

midpack

yeah... sounds like you lost a rod. sorry. Been there, done that

• Like 1

The Gman

A couple of quickie suggestions for you if you don't have a compression tester.

Fire it up then pull a plug wire or fire it up with one wire off then repeat with the other wire.

Pull the suspected spark plug out if you find a problem with one cylinder and put your thumb or finger over the plug hole to feel for pressure. Glove yourself if it hot in there.

If you find a bad cylinder but think you have compession remove the valve cover and look for a broken spring.

Then of course there's the spark at the plugs, check them too.

I'm sure you realize a thrown rod is a disaster waiting to happen every time you start it or turn it over. The block is aluminum. Kinda like the tazmainam devil in a box.

Waiting for the diagnosis..............:popcorn:

The Gman
On 14/09/2018 at 10:33 PM, Sparky said:

The series 1 Kohler 17 twins were known to starve one of the cylinders of oil if ran on slopes. They were a splash lubed motor and the cylinder on the "up side" wouldn't get proper lubrication.  

Two sidways and fuzzy pics of the two lub systems on the series II.

20180917_102940.jpg

20180917_102930.jpg

Edited by The Gman

richmondred01

I’ve swapped several of the kt17 out with the k321 and k341. They work just fine. I did a k321 swap from a kt17 ten years ago for a friend. The old girl is still cutting grass and pushing snow. 

• Like 1

midpack

I used a Magnum for a swap on one of mine. make sure you change the key switch if you do

• Like 1