AndyK149

V-Belt Guys

AndyK149

Has anyone used the V-Belt Guys site or their kevlar replacement belts?  Seem to be a good price but quality is pretty important too!  Thanks!

www.vbeltguys.com

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, AndyK149 said:

Has anyone used the V-Belt Guys site or their kevlar replacement belts?  Seem to be a good price but quality is pretty important too!  Thanks!

www.vbeltguys.com

I haven't used them but to me Kevlar would be the choice. Maybe someone else might have a little more information

ebinmaine

Andy, I did see that site at one point a few months back. I ended up not ordering from them because of the freight cost. It was just easier to go pick up the belt physically at the parts store and I ended up being about the same price between the belt and the freight. I believe in doing business with local people as often as I can so that particular case was a no-brainer for me.

I can't actually speak for or against the quality or sizing of their belts.

• Like 3

Skipper

I am running two belts from them now. No complaints, but a few things to consider IMO..............

Lets start from the top of this little story. Let me say this first of all. If you require kevlar belts, I would go Stens True Blue, or Stens OEM Replacement belts for the odd sizes, that some will say you have to buy TORO belts to get. They are out of the same factory (identical) to a brand that people here always rave a bit about. A hint. They are blue. :-)  And at the price you can get those belts at, I would not even suggest going for something that is only a few buck cheaper.

Now to the ones I have running from v-belt guys.

At first I got suckered a bit into buying them. I was looking for Napa B128  and Napa B96, and they popped up on that site, at a really good price. I was a bit hasty, and saw the fine print only after hitting the buy button. It turns out to be other brand substitute belts. And to the price, hey...........

They shipped same day, and delivered as they should. Super nice people, with no problem in sending to EU land. The belts was fitted as deckbelt on a 60" HD deck, and as Mule belt from that deck to my C195. They runs just fine. No problems of any kind. No stretch, no strange wear or anything. Just fine.

So would I buy Kevlar belts from them? No, not a chance, I can get the tested to be good stuff at roughly the same price, so no way I would take a chance on it. But for classic belts, YES, I would for sure buy from them again.

Now some of you will probably say that I can't use non kevlar belts and that they wont last and so on. Well, if the system uses no clutching action on the belt, but is engaged all the time, then I dare throw it back with: Why not?

This is why I run classic belts on all non clutching belt systems: They do not have a tendency to slip, which is what the kevlar wrapped belts are designed to do and withstand. I got tired of the belt slipping when the deck got into some really heavy cutting. Now the engine is being pressed down in rpms instead. And, should that classic belt wear out after only a year or two, then it was only about 10 buck or less to replace, and well worth the 10 minutes fix time. That is a good trade off in my book, if they should turn out to be a bit shorter lived than kevlar belts.

Enough of the rant. Just my :twocents-02cents: 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Tankman

Never had a problem with Huskee Kevlar belts. Always on the shelf at Tractor Supply and inexpensive. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Green belts = oil resistant. Label the sleeve, staple gun to the shop wall. Just in case you forget and need a replacement.

• Excellent 4

Pullstart
22 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Never had a problem with Huskee Kevlar belts. Always on the shelf at Tractor Supply and inexpensive. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Green belts = oil resistant. Label the sleeve, staple gun to the shop wall. Just in case you forget and need a replacement.

My source for belts also, I’ve never been let down.

• Like 4

WHX??

Really good :twocents-02cents: Tom @Skipper ...thanks for posting.

I have ordered a few times from them with good service and quality but mostly due to my own stupidity ordered the wrong size or wasn' t sure of the size I needed. 

My go to now, like others is the Huskees from TSC. Buy one or two over or under the size you think you are gonna need and return the ones that didn't fit. Works everytime. 

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

OFF BRAND ALERT

First of all, this concerns a "not a wheel Horse'  brand of mower that probably you had before becoming enlightened to our fine machines ever wonder why your transmission slips on your MTD?  Read on. i post it here just in case the same principal applies to any of our machines.

I have a farm that needs the lot mowed and Keeping a red machine up there for someone to steal is not a great idea. Many times I get the yard mowed when in the area vs.going home and trailering a Horse.

.  I have a huskee and those MTD based models  take a special belt for the transmission.Even the angle cut of the vee is not standard,so the belt length is not the only thing weird about this belt. It ain't cheap at about $40. A real pain to change when your engine/transmission pulley is frozen as you need to lift the engine up to get it on. The belt has different angles cut on the vee and is also cut on the half inch.  I have seen them on the internet and the "equivalent' ones are close but no cigar.   Stens are probably an exception to that.

I finally had enough of the stuck pulley, so I pulled the engine and ground the pulley free from the shaft.

I buy my WheelHorse belts at Rural King. they have a decent selection and all grades at good prices. One they were out of the size I needed, and TSC matched the RK price.

So I went to the Vbeltguys site and their belt is listed at 90 inches when the actual MTD belt is 90.8 inches. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  OEM is754-0467 for the MTD.

AndyK149

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I don't have an RK or TSC near me so paying a little for shipping is cheaper than gas and time to go to one of those places

Skipper

Most small engine and lawn mower stores will be able to sell you Stens belts too..... Then you don't have to go to TSC, now that you don't have one around.

TSC's Huskee belts are identical to K-force belts and others too as far as I can tell. If that's easier for you to find  ;-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Excellent 1