handyman

418-C??

handyman

Is there such a model? If so, how is it different from a 418 or 418-A (automatic)

WHC-125

The C in 417-C means commercial

CHARGER9AUTO

The C in 417-C means commercial

Chris, I think you mean 418-C COMMERCIAL 41-18KE01 TWIN AUTOMATIC

handyman

Are they any good being a unique model? Weren't there problems with the 18 twins?

Rollerman

Handyman the 418C is a very good combination of parts.

The 18HP Kohler twin is a strong runner as is the Eaton 1100 hydro drive.

It differed from the 418H "a home owner GT" in that the 418C was a commercial GT.

The 418C had some differant parts to beef it up fo commercial use (beefed up front spindles, hood braces, etc, etc) but lacked some of the other apperance items used for home owner GT's....like chrome items on the engine.

Nothing wrong with a 418C...infact it's a pretty desirable model. :thumbs:

pfrederi

The C doesn't have all the idiot lights that are on a 418a...guess the pros know they are sitting on the seat or that they put the brake on :thumbs:

handyman

Went and looked at it this morning and the frame was broken, the deck was trashed, the engine had been ran with no oil or air filter and the seller still thought it was gold because of the name. I saw a parts tractor or an expensive project. Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

pfrederi

I never ceased to be amazed at the abuse by some owners of their equipment!!! You really have to try to break a WH Frame.

My neighbors 856 was accidently driven out the second story door of a barn (no ramp) went about 8 ft down nose first...fortunately the Mechanic wasn't on board.

It broke the steering wheel, bent one front wheel and spindle and bent the U shaped members on the frame that hold the front axle. It was drivable with a new steering wheel but the front wheels hit the deck on turns. Try as I might I couldn't get the front plates on the frame straight enough. Bought a Commando 8 parts tractor swapped frames, 1 spindle and wheel and she is as good a new (for a 1966) and back to mowing...

Love to know what the PO of the 418C was doing to break a frame....

• Like 1

oldandred

Went and looked at it this morning and the frame was broken, the deck was trashed, the engine had been ran with no oil or air filter and the seller still thought it was gold because of the name. I saw a parts tractor or an expensive project. Oh well.

were was the fram broken back at the tranny ??

handyman

Yes, broken at the back of the frame where the 4 bolts attach the axle to the vertical portion of the frame. The story was the owner ran over a stump. The deck lift arm was snapped off, the deck came back and the height adjuster was pushed into the spinning rear wheels which pushed it into the deck collapsing a section and then breaking that off also. Evil Kenevel trades in his bike for a WH!!

Duff

Handyman, I gotta ask - what was the guy asking for this train wreck? :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

handyman

$900 firm with a couple of junk attachments that were beat up as bad as the tractor. Everything had been out in the weather for over a year if not longer. Maybe a fair price to some but I couldn't see it.

WH418C

I purchased the 418C in 1987 because I felt it was last longer.  It did") owned it for 31 years. 

Edited by WH418C
sold

WVHillbilly520H
43 minutes ago, WH418C said:

I purchased the 418C in 1987 because I felt it was last longer.  It did") owned it for 31 years Everything I have read here seems to be spot on regarding the "C" model.  I ordered the chrome for mine the day i bought it:)

Sweet looking :wh:...

Screenshot_20180915-180307.png

Screenshot_20180915-180508.png

953 nut
On 3/14/2009 at 9:31 PM, handyman said:

$900 firm with a couple of junk attachments that were beat up as bad as the tractor. Everything had been out in the weather for over a year if not longer. Maybe a fair price to some but I couldn't see it.

Too bad you are so far away, I would probably let mine go if offered $ 900!

101_2335.JPG.9cbb3d24fc585fd053fd94759296a486.JPG101_2333.JPG.5d0541a285c763272c419ed147981a3e.JPG

CasualObserver

@953 nut you realize you quoted a 9 year old post, right?? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

@953 nut you realize you quoted a 9 year old post, right?? :lol:

I've been off on vacation for a couple of weeks but must have gone through a time warp here.        :ychain:

When I opened the post in the "most recent unread" I went back a few posts to orient myself, never even looked at the date, but if he wants mine I will honor the offer.

• Like 1