23 Reo

Over Charging Charger

23 Reo

My 68 Charger 12 has been cooking batteries. I replaced the voltage regulator and am getting 14.6 volts to 14.75 volts with engine running and the meter on the battery terminals.

Is the tractor over charging? If it is how can I fix?

WHX??

Possible the reg is getting hot and over charging when running for extended period? Just taking a stab in the dark here. Those readings are a tad high but not real bad.  I would suggest replaceing the reg and try it. Maybe get a voltage reading out of the AC input to the reg. just for grins. 

rmaynard

Make sure the regulator is well grounded. A regulator that has a bad ground can produce over 20 VDC when the grounds connection is broken.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Good point Bob intermittent ground. 

23 Reo

I installed a new regulator and scraped the paint away at the area where the regulator mounts to the body. I am getting up to 17 volts on the regulator's B+ tab.

Any ideas?

Skipper

Can you try another multi meter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

Run a jumper from the regulator housing to the battery negative to be sure it isn't a grounding issue.

• Like 1

23 Reo

I ran a jumper from the regulator housing to the negative terminal. I am getting 14.5 volts at battery terminals at high and low rpm.

Is this still too high and will it boil my battery? If it is too high what is my next step? 

• Like 1

953 nut

That is just right.      :text-bravo:Grounds are a very important and often overlooked part of any electrical flow path.