bigweights

k301 black smoke

bigweights

I just got a c-120 that im restoring.  It has a k301 engine.  Im having a few problems.  I replaced ignition, points, condenser, spark plug, wire, all new carb and intake gaskets, new carburetor.   After I installed  new carb I wasn't getting fuel to the bowl on the carb, so I took the carb and bowl off and cleaned it.  Now Im getting way to much fuel.  Its pouring black smoke.  Any help would be appreciated!

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, bigweights said:

I just got a c-120 that im restoring.  It has a k301 engine.  Im having a few problems.  I replaced ignition, points, condenser, spark plug, wire, all new carb and intake gaskets, new carburetor.   After I installed  new carb I wasn't getting fuel to the bowl on the carb, so I took the carb and bowl off and cleaned it.  Now Im getting way to much fuel.  Its pouring black smoke.  Any help would be appreciated!

I may not be right but I'm going to take a stab at this. Others will likely be along as well.

First thing that came to mind for me is this. You state you put a new carb on. Is it one of the Chinese inexpensive carburetors?

The reason I ask is that there have been quite a few reported instances that those are not properly cleaned out.

You say you did clean yours out but the symptom you are having may be related to having a small piece of foreign material in between the needle and seat which would be allowing full flow of gasoline into the engine.

bigweights

yes it is an ebay replacement carb

ebinmaine
Just now, bigweights said:

yes it is an ebay replacement carb

many of us have used those and had very good luck with them but they do need to be cleaned very thoroughly. Sometimes two or three times.

If you have compressed air available try to blow out the passages very carefully.

You may even be able to take out the needle and see what is holding it open.

roadapples

And check float level...

• Like 1

WHX??

Hello Big Weight and :WRS:

Are you sure it's a carb issue? Black smoke can mean sump oil geting where it's not supposed to be through bad rings, loose valve guides, piston or a whole host of other wear points. If this is a new to you tractor always best off popping the head and just checking things out. I've got a few motors that smoke like the dickens but goes away after warm up, Clearly a sign of possible ring issues. If this is a full blown frame off resto you may want to pull the motor apart and check out specs. I've gennerally had good luck with those cheaper knock off carbs but you never know. I would guess you played with the mixture screws abit?

WHNJ701

did you pull the head off and decarbon it?  doesn't sound like a carb issue

Skipper

If it ran fine (no smoke before cleaning of carb), then it is absolutely most likely excessive fuel IMO. Take apart the carb again and make sure it's clean. I have had a few carbs do it, and in one instance on a brand new carb, I had to replace the fuel inlet valve and seat, which controls the fuel level. If that little rubber needle do not seat right for one reason or another, the fuel pump will force feed it gas. Sure sounds like that to me, but I have been known to be mistaken too................ :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
18 hours ago, roadapples said:

And check float level...

:text-yeahthat:

Some of the knock off carbs i have  I found the float setting to be wildly off  11/64" is correct

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

FatJackDurham
34 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

:text-yeahthat:

Some of the knock off carbs i have  I found the float setting to be wildly off  11/64" is correct

Mine was off.